Firefighter Steven Pena, 23, reportedly used a wet/dry vacuum to steal the gas, which ignited the fire, according to Newsday. Pena volunteers for the Village of Freeport Fire Department, which is near Long Island.
Over the weekend, Firefighter Pena used an extension cord to power the vacuum to steal the gas to put into a car he brought to the firehouse.
He said that he had been living at the firehouse because the bank took his parents' home.
Police say the electrical current from the cord came in contact with the gas fumes and started the fire. burning the truck and his own vehicle. Two volunteer firefighters were injured trying to put out the flames.
Firefighter Pena initially lied, saying the fire was started by a lit cigarette, but later confessed. He also faces a years-old robbery conviction.
He is currently out after posting a $5,000 bail.
The comments below are member-generated and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of FireRescue1.com or its staff. If you cannot see comments, try disabling privacy and ad blocking plugins in your browser.
Rudy Caparros Sr.Wednesday, December 19, 2012 12:25:15 PMWARNING: FIRST RESPONDERS’ use of THE CHLORINE INSTITUTE “C” KIT may cause the catastrophic failure of a chlorine tank car, instantly creating a toxic gas plume with a distance of not less than seven miles. The first mile will have chlorine concentrations of 1,000 ppm, causing death after one or two breaths with no opportunity for escape. To learn more, see PETITION C KIT, click on “First Responder Warnings.”.
Jay LathropWednesday, April 03, 2013 12:23:04 PMKarma for being dishonest or just stupidity?