1) What is 30% of 40
2) Water weighs 8.33 lbs per gallon. If you drained 40% of a 2500 gallon water tank how much weight was drained from the tank?
A) 4,165 lbs
C) 8,330 lbs
D) 83,300 lbs
3) 4 1/3 x 2/5 = (Four & one third times two fifths)
A) 4 11/15 - (Four & eleven fifteenths)
B) 4 3/8 - (Four & three eighths)
C) 1 1/3 - (One & one third)
D) 1 11/15 - (One & eleven fifteenths)
4) Fire Inspector Jones makes $14.00 per hour. He receives time and a half after 8 hours of work in one day. If he worked an 11 hour day, what was his pay?
5) How many cubic yards are in a box that measures 12ft x 9ft x 9ft.
6) The decimal .20 is equivalent to what fraction?
7) Assume that for every mile per hour that a fire truck is traveling it takes 3 1/4 ft of distance for that truck to come to a complete safe stop. If an engine is traveling 55 miles per hour, how long will it take the truck to stop?
B) 175ft 9in
C) 178ft 9in
D) 180ft 9in
8) A water tank measure 10ft x 10ft x 10ft. There are approx 7.5 gallons of water per cubic foot. If the water tank was 3/4 full & water weighs 8.33 lbs per gallon approx how much weight would be added to the tank if it were filled?
Read the following paragraghs and answer questions 9 through 13.
If arson is a suspected cause of a fire it is important to ensure the proper preservation & collection of potential evidence at the scene. Fire investigators are typically responsible for gathering such evidence. If the investigator is not available, it is especially important for the firefighters on scene to take the necessary steps to salvage & collect potential pieces of evidence once the fire has been extinguished & the overhaul phase of the fire begins.
The fire department has the authority over a fire scene for as long as necessary to ensure a proper & thorough investigation. When the last Firefighter leaves the scene, the department’s authority is surrendered. Often a search warrant or written consent is required to re-enter or investigate the scene at a later time. For this reason it is important that all the evidence be tagged, marked & photograghed as soon as possible. If there is any doubt that further investigation may be needed it is important to leave personnel at the scene and the scene should be properly cordoned off with "DO NOT ENTER TAPE". As many firefighters should remain as necessary to guard the scene, to ensure scene safety and prevent residents and bystanders from entering the area. Under no circumstances should any body be allowed to enter the scene unless accompanied by a fire officer. Any entry, even by the owner of the premises, should be carefully logged. The persons name, time of entry, time of departure, description of any items taken & reason for entry should all be recorded.
9) If an investigator is not available what should firefighters do to assist in the investigation?
a) Salvage & collect evidence
b) Tag, mark & photograph evidence
c) It is not the firefighters responsibility, therefore they should simply extinguish & overhaul the fire.
d) Begin the investigation themselves with the evidence they have collected
e) both A & B
10) The fire department has the authority at a fire scene for how long?
a) Anywhere from 1-3 weeks
b) Until the investigation is complete
c) Until the last Firefighter leaves the scene
d) Until the evidence is all collected
e) Until the owner arrives
11) Evidence is usually collected during what phase of the fire?
a) suppression phase
b) salvage phase
c) overhaul phase
d) extinguishment phase
e) final phase
12) All of the following are true EXCEPT?
a) Search warrants are never needed to enter a fire scene.
b) Salvaging & collecting evidence is always the responsibility of the fire investigator.
c) Entrance to the fire scene must be recorded.
d) Guards are sometimes required to protect the scene.
e) The fire department has the authority of a fire scene for as long as necessary.
13) Entry into the fire scene is allowed.
a) only to the owner
b) only to the owner if accompanied by a fire officer
c) only to the owner if accompanied by a fire officer & entry is recorded properly
d) only if accompanied by a fire officer & entry is recorded properly
Use the following table to answer questions 14 & 15.
Aerial ladder 50-135 ft
Aerial ladder platform 85-110 ft
Telescoping aerial platform 50-100 ft
Articulating aerial platform 55-102 ft
14) If the articulating aerial platform were extended to 75 ft, what percentage of its range would be in use?
15) What piece of apparatus has the shortest range?
A) Aerial ladder platform
B) Aerial ladder
C) Telescoping aerial platform
D) Articulating aerial platform
GENERAL JOB RELATED KNOWLEDGE
16) It is generally not considered good practice to use water on electrical fires because:
A) It will cause unnecessary damage to the electrical equipment
B) It is ineffective
C) There is a danger of the water conducting electricity and endangering Firefighters
D) There is a risk of explosion
17) The most common method used to extinguish fires is:
A) Fuel removal
D) Changing the chemical composition of the fuel
18) A fire that starts by spontaneous combustion:
A) Is not possible
B) Is usually self extinguished
C) Is only possible if outside temperatures exceed 100F
D) Is one that starts without any external ignition source
19) It takes more energy to push water through a long hose then through a short hose. This is because of:
20) Back Pressure, sometimes referred to as Head Pressure, is measured in lbs per square inch (psi). The back pressure of water is .434 per foot of elevation. If the height of a water tank is 180 feet, what is the back pressure going to be at the bottom of this tank.
B) 78.1 psi
See Answer Key below for answers & a brief explanation.
1) B (12). Solve by cross multiplying: 30/100 = ?/40
2) C (8,330). 40% of 2500 is 1,000. 1,000 x 8.33lbs = 8,330lbs
3) D (1 11/15). You must first convert the fraction to an "improper fraction" then multiply. You end up with 13/3 x 2/5 = 26/15 which is reduced to 1 11/15.
4) C ($175). $14 x 8 = $112, 3 x $21 = $63. $112 + $63 = $175.
5) A (36) The question asks for cubic yards, but the measurements are given in feet. You must first convert feet to yards then multiply 4 x 3 x 3 = 36 cubic yards. Tricks like this exist on many tests. Always read carefully & be on the lookout for such trick questions.
6) B (1/5). .20 is equal to 1/5. Again you can cross multiply to find the answer. 20/100 = ?/20. Answer 4/20 which reduces to 1/5.
7) C (178ft 9in). 3 1/4 x 55 = 13/4 x 55/1 = 178 3/4 ft, which equals 178ft 9in
8) D (15,618lbs). The tank is 1,000 cubic feet, therefore there are approx 7,500 gallons in the tank. To fill the tank it needs 1/4 its capacity, which is 1,875 gallons. This weighs 15,618.75lbs
14) C (42.5%). The range of the aerial is equal to 102ft - 55ft = 47ft. If it is was raised to 75 ft, 20 ft of the ladders 47 ft range is being used. Cross multiply & solve for X to get the percentage. 20/47 = x/100 = 42.5%.
15) A (Aerial ladder platform) It's range is only 25 ft.