11 FDNY firefighters injured in 2-rig crash

The FDNY trucks were heading to the same fire when they crashed into each other at an intersection

The New York Post

By Reuven Fenton , Jessica Simeone and Pedro Oliveira Jr.

NEW YORK — Two FDNY trucks responding to the same 911 call collided in Brooklyn yesterday after blowing through a four-way stop - plowing through a yellow cab and a brick home, authorities said.

Eleven firefighters were injured in the 7:45 a.m. collision at Avenue J and East 103rd Street in Canarsie. The trucks from Engine 257 and Ladder 170 were responding to a report of smoke at a location a couple miles away, FDNY spokesman Frank Dwyer said.

One truck was headed west on Avenue J, while the other rushed south on 103rd Street.

"I heard the sirens first, and then I heard a big bang," said Egbert Palmer, 75, who lives near the intersection where the trucks met front-first.

The firetrucks smashed into the rear driver's side of a yellow cab parked on 103rd Street and plowed into the brick wall of a house at the intersection.

"I heard the tires screeching, and I quickly looked out the window and saw the truck coming toward the house," said Cecil Lowe, 65, who lives on the second floor of the home that was struck.

One of the drivers was pinned unconscious inside his truck, Lowe said. Ambulances rushed in and used the Jaws of Life to take him out.

"When I came down, I saw they were taking someone on a stretcher to an ambulance," Palmer said. "Some of the other firemen were holding their hands to their heads.

"It looks like a disaster zone . . . It's a good thing no one was walking around there at the time. There easily could have been fatalities."

Four firefighters were listed in serious but stable condition at Kings County Hospital; seven had minor injuries.

The call they had set out to respond turned out to be a false alarm, Dwyer said.

Lowe's daughter, Janelle Lowe, 34, was shocked to find her home's outer wall destroyed when she came home from her nursing job.

"It's just devastating," Janelle Lowe said. "The windows got knocked out. The truck could have come right into the living room."

But despite the damage, she was sympathetic to the firemen.

"I know the Fire Department is trying to help people, and because of Hurricane Sandy, they've been putting in a lot of long hours," she said. "I just hope the firefighter who was injured is OK. My prayers go out to all the firemen's families."

Copyright 2012 N.Y.P. Holdings, Inc.
All Rights Reserved

Comments
Trulayna Rose Trulayna Rose Wednesday, November 07, 2012 1:46:41 PM praying you them all!
Tom J Monahan Tom J Monahan Wednesday, November 07, 2012 1:48:44 PM Glad there ok...
Jim Kelly Jim Kelly Wednesday, November 07, 2012 1:51:33 PM They put their lives on the line for us every day. Please say a quick prayer that they all recover completely.
Karen Romano-ventimiglia Karen Romano-ventimiglia Wednesday, November 07, 2012 1:54:47 PM PRAYING, SO SO SAD:(
Alain Colle Alain Colle Wednesday, November 07, 2012 1:56:29 PM j’espere qu'il vont vite se retablir.
E Mark Baland E Mark Baland Wednesday, November 07, 2012 2:37:06 PM Not the first time and won't be the last. To the credit of the Service I think many of these are avoided by planning. communication, and sane driving.
Vince Marano Vince Marano Wednesday, November 07, 2012 2:42:45 PM Good thought & Best Wishes.
Matthew Beitschat Matthew Beitschat Wednesday, November 07, 2012 2:44:27 PM praying you them all.
Alfie Arlene Bartha Wace Alfie Arlene Bartha Wace Wednesday, November 07, 2012 2:51:01 PM Prayers!
Bubba Yermah Bubba Yermah Wednesday, November 07, 2012 3:10:11 PM We often get funny looks from people at intersections when we make a complete stop lights & sirens in all their obnoxiousness. It's because that is policy at my dept. That isn't always the case. Truth is, to some degree most of us firefighters are kids at heart when we're called to duty. Adrenaline takes over, it's normally our "superman" juice. The same adrenaline that helps us get through mentally unbearable situations, sometimes causes unfortunate, awful accidents such as this. God be with you brothers. SCFD MI.
Adam Kaelin Adam Kaelin Wednesday, November 07, 2012 3:15:44 PM Hope everyone is OK. This is a four way stop intersection, shouldn't have happened. I hope we can all learn from this.
William Dwayne Unwin William Dwayne Unwin Wednesday, November 07, 2012 4:22:55 PM My prayers are with my Brother Firefighters and their families. I pray that all are safe. This is something a firefighter never wants to experience. I've been thru it, Waterbury, Ct 5 years ago. Please stay safe.
Ramon Trevino Jr Ramon Trevino Jr Wednesday, November 07, 2012 5:21:30 PM Thank God there were no casualties. Prayers and thoughts go out to my brother firefighters in FDNY.
Jamie Musumano Jamie Musumano Wednesday, November 07, 2012 6:07:22 PM Jesus. Way too familiar. Keep em in your prayers everyone.
Maura Keane Marinaccio Maura Keane Marinaccio Wednesday, November 07, 2012 6:15:04 PM I can't believe that happened again. Prayers for all involved.
Cindy Ogorman Cindy Ogorman Wednesday, November 07, 2012 6:35:44 PM my prayers go out for the firemen and there familys I hope they will be alright and I am sending best wishes to them. I come from a family who is also in the fire company and we are all brothers.
Forester Sinclair Forester Sinclair Wednesday, November 07, 2012 6:38:17 PM Prayers to you my brothers, speedy recoveries and return to duty.
Bruce Mackinley Bruce Mackinley Wednesday, November 07, 2012 7:13:36 PM Be Safe.Very easy to happen.
Michael Rugh Michael Rugh Wednesday, November 07, 2012 8:49:17 PM Hope they all fully recover l but there is NO excuse for the crash in this day and age.
Alan Shedler Alan Shedler Thursday, November 08, 2012 3:06:43 AM We pray for a full and quick recovery. We also hope they find out what caused this and let us all learn so we May not do the same thing
Sheryl Dee Williams Memorial Sheryl Dee Williams Memorial Thursday, November 08, 2012 5:44:52 AM Prayers for the injured. This should be a wake up call, for all code3 responders. Stop at stop signs and reds. Look carefully. If you dont get there safely, you cannot help anyone.
Dave Carsley Dave Carsley Thursday, November 08, 2012 6:13:24 AM That's why firemen should always respond individually on hoverboards. In this fashion, there would be no incidents involving ground traffic, and no aircraft flying at such a low altitude to worry about
Keith Michaels Keith Michaels Thursday, November 08, 2012 6:14:52 AM I have been seeing a lot of apparatus crash's lately that involve two rig's going to the same call. We need to be sure we are training our drivers an staying on top of there driving habits so this things don't happen. my prayers go out for my brothers.
Haldun Seber Haldun Seber Thursday, November 08, 2012 12:25:53 PM get passed
Sanda Sam Becker Kotulak Sanda Sam Becker Kotulak Thursday, November 08, 2012 1:16:33 PM prayers that all are safe...
Stephen Matthew Corneau Stephen Matthew Corneau Thursday, November 08, 2012 2:14:05 PM Stay safe out there!
Jerry Pera Jerry Pera Thursday, November 08, 2012 4:43:43 PM Prayers and good thought to my brothers at E257 and L170 for a speedy recovery. But next time, please take a few extra seconds to make sure everyone arrives on scene safely. We can't help if we don't make it there. It will still be burning when you get there, I guarantee it!
John Cronin John Cronin Thursday, November 08, 2012 5:26:46 PM How many doors did you drive through?
Jim Goodall Jim Goodall Thursday, November 08, 2012 5:30:56 PM I always worry when responding to a call we may meet the neighboring ambulance at an intersection. My wishes for a speedy recovery for all involved.
Sandy Harman Sandy Harman Thursday, November 08, 2012 7:35:03 PM Prayers to all the firefighters invoved in this horrible accident.
Faust Milazzo Faust Milazzo Tuesday, November 13, 2012 3:34:13 AM Communication problem you decide?
David Dolan Jr David Dolan Jr Tuesday, November 13, 2012 5:01:45 AM Stop sign means "stop".
John R Eeten John R Eeten Friday, November 16, 2012 12:49:22 PM Just the flying rats, also known as Gulls, and let us not forget about the pidgeons!!! Our Policy is to Slow Down, Have a Window open to hear other noise, and all eyes be looking. We also slow enough that we can stop prior to hitting anything.

Apparatus