Make this page my home page
  1. Drag the home icon in this panel and drop it onto the "house icon" in the tool bar for the browser

  2. Select "Yes" from the popup window and you're done!

Print Comment RSS

Carbon monoxide leak in NY sends 42 to hospital

Authorities said US Merchant Marine Academy water heater was found to be leaking poisonous gas; 8 injured students back at school

The Associated Press

KINGS POINT, N.Y. — Eight of the 42 U.S. Merchant Marine Academy students who were hospitalized after carbon monoxide was found to be leaking at the Long Island facility have returned to the school.

According to Newsday, a North Shore University Hospital spokeswoman said the eight were treated and released, and returned to the Kings Point school Monday morning.

The conditions of the other students, who were taken to other hospitals, were not immediately known.

Authorities said a water heater was found to be leaking carbon monoxide shortly before 10 p.m. Sunday. The leak was in the Academy's Barry Hall.

Associated PressCopyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

The Merchant Marine Academy prepares students for careers in the maritime industry. Its 82-acre campus is on Long Island, about 20 miles east of New York City.




Comments
The comments below are member-generated and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of FireRescue1.com or its staff. If you cannot see comments, try disabling privacy and ad blocking plugins in your browser. All comments must comply with our Member Commenting Policy.

FireRescue1 Offers

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Sponsored by

Connect with FireRescue1

Mobile Apps Facebook Twitter Google+

Get the #1 Fire eNewsletter

Fire Newsletter Sign up for our FREE email roundup of the top news, tips, columns, videos and more, sent 3 times weekly
Enter Email
See Sample