Make this page my home page
  1. Drag the home icon in this panel and drop it onto the "house icon" in the tool bar for the browser

  2. Select "Yes" from the popup window and you're done!

Print Comment RSS

Girl killed, 6 sickened by CO poisoning in W.Va.

The Associated Press

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. — A carbon monoxide leak is being blamed for killing a 12-year-old girl and sickening five other children and a mother during a pool-party sleepover in Morgantown.

State Police Senior Trooper J.R. Celapino says two girls and three boys between the ages of 12 and 15 were hospitalized. At least two children were flown to Children's Hospital in Pittsburgh.

None of the victims' names have been released.

Celapino says a preliminary investigation indicates a faulty heater for an indoor pool caused carbon monoxide to fill the house.

Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that can cause headaches, dizziness, weakness and chest pain. Exposure to high levels can lead to loss of consciousness and death.

Associated PressCopyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

According to the Centers for Disease Control, about 500 people in the United States die each year from accidental carbon-monoxide poisoning.




Comments
The comments below are member-generated and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of FireRescue1.com or its staff. If you cannot see comments, try disabling privacy and ad blocking plugins in your browser. All comments must comply with our Member Commenting Policy.
No comments

FireRescue1 Offers

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Sponsored by

Connect with FireRescue1

Mobile Apps Facebook Twitter Google+

Get the #1 Fire eNewsletter

Fire Newsletter Sign up for our FREE email roundup of the top news, tips, columns, videos and more, sent 3 times weekly
Enter Email
See Sample