Reality Training: PD vents before first-due arrives, feeds fire
This video of a structure fire's progression prior to first-due arriving on scene provides some valuable learning opportunities
This feature is intended to spark the sharing of ideas, information and techniques to make firefighters safer and more effective. The following video and discussion points must not be used to berate, belittle or criticize those firefighters. Rather, in the spirit of near-miss reporting, please use this feature as another teaching tool to help you better do your job. Please leave your comments below and use this material in your own department. I hope you find this Reality Training valuable; stay safe and keep learning.
Any time a fire has a significant amount of pre-burn time before the arrival of firefighting resources it presents a challenge to fire suppression activities. This fire in a two-story, detached garage, provides a good opportunity for learning because the video begins early in the incident and provides a good picture of the fire's progression prior to the first unit's arrival.
- What does your initial size-up of the incident reveal?
- Based on your size-up, what would be your initial Incident Action Plan (IAP)?
- What would be the priorities in your IAP?
- What is your evaluation of the smoke at the beginning of the video and does your evaluation change during the course of the video?
- Based on your IAP, how would you evaluate the actions of the firefighters in the video?
- What, if anything, would you have done differently?
Recommended Company Officer Development
Join the discussion
The comments below are member-generated and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of FireRescue1.com or its staff. If you cannot see comments, try disabling privacy and ad blocking plugins in your browser. All comments must comply with our Member Commenting Policy.