12 situational firefighter interview questions to prepare for
All of these questions would be asked as "What would you do, If__" (WWYD) questions
Here is a list of 12 situational firefighter interview questions you may encounter on a typical entry level oral board. All of these questions would be asked as "What would you do, if__" (WWYD) Questions.
- For weeks you notice that someone has been eating your cereal and drinking the milk that you bring in. You have already asked everyone to please not do so and have even began labeling your food. One morning you walk into the kitchen and Senior Firefighter Bob is helping himself to the last of your milk and cereal. WWYD?
- While shopping for groceries duty a citizen approaches you and asks why his tax dollars are paying for you to hang out and shop at the grocery store. He is obviously very upset and angry. WWYD?
- While on scene at a medical aid you are asked to go back to the Engine to get a piece of equipment. In route to the Engine you notice that its placement is blocking traffic. Traffic is backing up and an irate citizen is yelling for you to move the Engine. You are not the Engineer. WWYD?
- You suspect a fellow firefighter has a drug problem. WWYD?
- You see a fellow firefighter slip an expensive watch into his turnout coat during overhaul. WWYD?
- During the final exam of your probationary academy you see two fellow recruits exchanging answers. WWYD?
- Your Captain orders you to get him a radio from the engine, one the way the Battalion Chief stops you and asks you to deliver an axe to the team on the roof right away. WWYD?
- You feel a fellow firefighter is not pulling their weight when it comes to station chores. WWYD?
- Your shift Captain clearly delegates much more work to you then to the other firefighters on the shift who are consequently all off duty drinking buddies. WWYD?
- You are assigned a task that you strongly feel is unsafe. WWYD?
- You and another recruit are assigned duties together, but you continually end up doing all the work. WWYD?
- You are having dinner at the firehouse and someone makes a comment which you find personally offensive. WWYD?
If the department is requiring a firefighter or EMT certification, they may ask situational questions which are fire or EMS related. Be prepared.
Join the discussion
The comments below are member-generated and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of FireRescue1.com or its staff. If you cannot see comments, try disabling privacy and ad blocking plugins in your browser. All comments must comply with our Member Commenting Policy.