Make this page my home page
  1. Drag the home icon in this panel and drop it onto the "house icon" in the tool bar for the browser

  2. Select "Yes" from the popup window and you're done!

Print Comment RSS

Woman's clutter hindered own rescue from fire

Firefighters say video tapes, clothing, and furniture made it difficult to locate the elderly woman

KHOU

HOUSTON – Firefighters fought desperately to try and rescue a 66-year-old woman trapped in a burning south Houston home late Monday, but the clutter inside made it difficult for them to reach her. Glady's Cotton died from her injuries, according to the Houston Fire Department.

The fire broke out at Cotton's home on Sherwood Drive at Porter Avenue around 11:30 p.m. Neighbors said flames were shooting from the one-story home.

“It was just blazing,” a neighbor told KHOU 11 News. “I could see fire—not just smoke—fire.”

Full story: Firefighters say clutter hindered woman’s rescue from fatal fire in south Houston




Comments
The comments below are member-generated and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of FireRescue1.com or its staff. If you cannot see comments, try disabling privacy and ad blocking plugins in your browser. All comments must comply with our Member Commenting Policy.
Darrell Crawford Darrell Crawford Tuesday, November 27, 2012 5:07:33 PM Make sure you are not hoarding! It's sad, but it can lead to your death.

FireRescue1 Offers

Fire Attack
Fire Attack

Sponsored by

Connect with FireRescue1

Mobile Apps Facebook Twitter Google+

Get the #1 Fire eNewsletter

Fire Newsletter Sign up for our FREE email roundup of the top news, tips, columns, videos and more, sent 3 times weekly
Enter Email
See Sample