SHREVEPORT, La. — A Shreveport man whose house burned to the ground on Christmas Day says that, if it weren't for the Shreveport Fire Department, he might have been able to rescue a few possessions from the flames. In an interview with KSLA News 12, the homeowner explains why he believes the devastation is partly the fire department's fault.
"It was so hot that the cans of beans done bust," says Joe Caldwell of the fire that destroyed his house. The Christmas Day fire left nothing but charred remains.
"All my children stuff done burnt up, all the toys," he says.
The comments below are member-generated and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of FireRescue1.com or its staff. If you cannot see comments, try disabling privacy and ad blocking plugins in your browser. All comments must comply with our Member Commenting Policy.
Matt FestoffFriday, December 28, 2012 9:13:58 AMIf it weren't for the FireFighters, you might now be here right now if your stupid ass went back into your burning house.
Ed McDonaldFriday, December 28, 2012 9:24:37 AMOk...when we show up and see someone trying to put out the fire we don't push him away till we get our lines on.But I can see being really mad at the dept..a fire truck that does not work...we have one of them and its out...we run one truck right now till we get the 2nd truck fixed. I am guessing the firefighters need to go back and get a refresher.
Jesse BelangerFriday, December 28, 2012 10:08:38 AMWhat was the cause of the fire? Old electrical? Unsafe heating? Pretty sure the fire dept didn't start the fire, so pretty much a stretch trying the blame them for responding. Besides, guy sounds like the definition of intelligent with those quotes about "that all done burnt up." Heh.
Corbin DoadesFriday, December 28, 2012 10:08:55 AMthis is why my department performs weekly tests on all apparatuses to make sure they are good to go.
Chris SopkoFriday, December 28, 2012 10:27:37 AMMaybe dude shouldn't have let the house catch fire in the first place? Then none of that would've happened. Just a thought, if we're pointing fingers.
Paul Anthony ChavezFriday, December 28, 2012 10:32:19 AMI don't blame the man for being upset. Malfunctions do happen. I have seen it myself in our department. It will happen in every department. It is embarrassing when it does happen. This man wasn't making verbal attacks against the fire dept. he was merely expressing his perception of what happened. I'm sure their was no negligence on behalf of the firefighters. Shit just happens sometimes.
Rene IrickFriday, December 28, 2012 11:30:48 AMIm sure he did not let it catch on fire. stuff happens, I' sure if you house was to catch on fire it would not be because you let it happen would it?
Rene IrickFriday, December 28, 2012 11:33:33 AMwe do daily checks but stuff still breaks just like your own car you can't see every thing, it may work in the morning and not at night or start to work and break at scene.
Kevin CarltonFriday, December 28, 2012 11:39:28 AMDid the fire dept. set the fire? I don't think so. That's why there is training. And for Joe he can join the FD and do his part.
Catherine CampbellFriday, December 28, 2012 1:17:37 PMyou'll probably find out he left the dryer running when he went out,
Doris EnmanFriday, December 28, 2012 1:28:07 PMId like to just say God Bless our Fire Departments, First Responders and Rescue Personnel material objects can not always be replaced like pictures and family heirlooms, but toys can.... LIVES CANT!!!!!!
Greg SmithFriday, December 28, 2012 6:05:12 PMOffended are we?
Calvin A Robinson Jr.Friday, December 28, 2012 6:11:33 PMNo She Needs to realize it could be worse... She could be laying in a body bag with her big toe tagged
Chris SopkoFriday, December 28, 2012 8:13:28 PMexactly, stuff happens.... i'm just curious what the investigation will turn out to be. there are plenty of people who are pissed off and make accusations as if we're miracle workers and that any fire would be extinguished immediately upon arrival, as if our apparatus comes pre-connected to a hydrant. lots of 'ifs' and wondering in everything - like what if he had gone back in the house? he might not be alive now. but yep, i went right to the source -- the laundry room in that man's house. what started that fire and how could it have been prevented? in any case- that sucks he lost his possessions.
David RaymondFriday, December 28, 2012 8:48:48 PMTHERE JUST DOING THERE JOB AND IT IS NOT AN EASY JOB. IF HE HAD A SPRINKER SYSTEM HE COULD OF SAVED THE HOUSE BETTER.
Agbili Martin AgilityFriday, December 28, 2012 9:46:54 PMEven here in Nigeria, it (malfunction) does happen all the time. We firefighter are really trying our best because we are only coming in to save lives and properties. I am sorry that the malfunction happened but people should understand that firefighter didn't put the fire and that mechanical faults can occur sometimes even in our private cars & vehicles. We should not blame whoever his or her property got burnt because at that state they can say anything. Firefighters are to the core humanitarian.
Smart Chukwuemeka AkpaguFriday, December 28, 2012 10:24:13 PMPity. But he has to assess the Fire Service and see whether it is being attended to like others. Firemen are taking the greatest risk of fighting fire bare handed.
Bennie WhitsonSaturday, December 29, 2012 1:00:22 PMHow about " might not be here".....my2 cents.
Sunday, December 30, 2012 1:08:10 PMmaybe if they had the money for good equipment things would be different wounder if he paid his fire dues.