MARYLAND CITY, Md. — Rescuers trying to get to a disabled man trapped in a burning trailer home were met with flying bullets as ammunition stored inside the house exploded on Wednesday morning.
The trapped man was eventually discovered dead inside the home. Fire officials have not released his identity, but neighbors said he was a 55-year old husband, father and grandfather who was disabled. His wife had gone to work.
The fire is being investigated as an accident. Rescuers believe the ammunition was for hunting and was stored inside the house.
After briefly taking cover, rescuers quickly determined they were not under attack and began pouring water on the house quickly, said Lt. Cliff Kooser of the Anne Arundel County Fire Dept.
Neighbors said the fire was so intense, there was little hope of rescuing the trapped man, despite the exploding ammunition.
The fire was reported just after 8 a.m. at 9 Zona St. in the Parkway Village trailer community in Maryland City.
The comments below are member-generated and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of FireRescue1.com or its staff. If you cannot see comments, try disabling privacy and ad blocking plugins in your browser. All comments must comply with our Member Commenting Policy.
Hank LangThursday, January 03, 2013 6:52:20 PMGenerally, hunting ammunition cooking off would not cause the projectiles (bullets) to fly, the casings would just burst open. It might sound like fire works, but I would be more concerned about compressed, flammable gas/liquid containers like spray paint cans and propane bottles/tanks.
Robert MinishThursday, January 03, 2013 7:10:05 PMHere's a good video about fire and ammunition. The good parts start around 12.5 minutes.
Jon WhiskeyThursday, January 03, 2013 8:32:35 PMNow the senators are going to try and ban ammunition all together for "Safety" reasons...
Bill ChadwickFriday, January 04, 2013 5:54:57 AMReprint of a local news article that uses a sensational (and less than truthful) headline. The only round of ammo I really worry about is the one in the chamber of a loaded firearm that is in the fire. Iím much more afraid of 5 gallons of gasoline, or 20lb propane stored in the basement than 500 rounds of boxed ammo or 2-3 lbs of smokeless power kept by a reloader.
Dan RosecransFriday, January 04, 2013 1:35:13 PMA one pound propane bottle can move a whole building when it BLEVIES, I have seen this in person. So being by a building fire with ammo is a lot safer, as long as the weapon has no bullets in any chambers. Senators and Congressmen take note.