By Terry Morris
Dayton Daily News
TIPP CITY, Ohio — Ellen Garner, a University of Cincinnati student from Tipp City, died Monday as a result of injuries in a New Year's Day fire that also claimed the life of a Centerville man.
She was 20 and a fashion design major.
Her parents, Ann and Rod Garner, were grieving with other family members. A spokeswoman at Tipp City United Methodist Church, 8 W. Main St., Tipp City, said services will be held there.
"Those have not been scheduled yet and probably will not be known today. When they are, we will post them on our website (www.tippcityumc.org)," she said.
Garner's friend, Chad Kohls, 21, a UC senior from Centerville, died Jan. 7. Both were rescued by firefighters from the blaze in the three-story off-campus house, where he lived while attending classes.
Firefighters, who were called to the home about 6:50 a.m. Jan. 1, said eight others were inside the house when a space heater ignited bedding. All were believed to have been asleep when the fire started.
Most of those inside were able to escape. One person was treated for minor injuries and released. Garner and Kohls had to be rescued and were hospitalized in critical condition due to smoke inhalation.
Garner, a 2010 graduate of Tippecanoe High School, completed an internship in clothing design in New York City last summer.
Surviving relatives had no comment Monday, but information leading up to Ellen's death was posted on the Facebook page "Pray for Ellen."
Family and friends held a 24-hour prayer vigil last week. At midnight Saturday, neurologists began withdrawing her from the medication that was stabilizing her by keeping her in a medically induced coma.
The Garner family is establishing a foundation in her name through the Tipp City church, which is accepting donations, the spokeswoman said.
Ellen held a part-time job at a Buffalo Wild Wings restaurant near UC. The Wild Wings location at 2313 W. Main St. in Troy announced it will have a benefit for the fund Wednesday. Ten percent of dine-in and carryout orders will be donated, along with proceeds from a raffle.
Copyright 2013 Dayton Newspapers, Inc.