Photo: Firefighter saves puppy from fire
The six-week-old puppy was unresponsive when firefighters found him
By Kirk Brown
ANDERSON, S.C. — Django survived a close call Wednesday evening.
The 6-week-old pit bull was not breathing when Anderson city firefighters found him inside a burning house on Marion Street, which is near Williamston Road.
But Django's tiny eyes opened as the puppy emerged from the smoke-filled structure cradled in a firefighter's arms.
Photo Kirk Brown/Independent Mail
Firefighter Bruce Reeves, an Anderson Fire Department Engineer gives oxygen to a 6-week-old pitbull
Another firefighter hustled to a truck to retrieve a medical kit. Then Anderson Fire Department engineer Bruce Reeves fitted a miniature oxygen mask from the kit over Django's nose. The puppy's owner, Wesley Maddox, stood nearby watching and worrying.
After Django started to come around, Reeves handed the puppy and the oxygen mask to Maddox.
Django was home alone when the fire started in one of the house's two bedrooms. Maddox arrived moments before his puppy was rescued.
The fire, which was reported by neighbors shortly before 5:30 p.m., caused moderate damage to the home where Maddox has lived for eight years.
Fifteen firefighters put out the blaze in less than five minutes, said Michael Guest, a battalion chief with city's fire department.
Guest said it appeared that faulty wiring sparked the fire.
Republished with permission from Independent Mail
Recommended Fire Attack
Join the discussion
The comments below are member-generated and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of FireRescue1.com or its staff. If you cannot see comments, try disabling privacy and ad blocking plugins in your browser. All comments must comply with our Member Commenting Policy.