SEQUOYAH COUNTY, Okla. — Sheriff Ron Lockhart said his office is investigating whether a Sequoyah County, Okla., man died after spontaneously bursting into flames. The sheriff said 65-year-old Danny Vanzandt’s death might be a rare case of spontaneous human combustion.
"This is a case that I’ve never seen before," Lockhart said. Emergency crews responded to Bawkin Road in Sequoyah County about 10:50 a.m. Monday (Feb. 18) after a neighbor told police she saw smoke coming from next door, Lockhart said. Vanzandt's brother, Aaron, tells 5NEWS he and his stepson found the body around 11 a.m. and called 911.
"The body was burned and it was incinerated," Lockhart said. Fire crews on the scene discovered a badly burned man dead in the kitchen, Lockhart said.
The comments below are member-generated and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of FireRescue1.com or its staff. If you cannot see comments, try disabling privacy and ad blocking plugins in your browser. All comments must comply with our Member Commenting Policy.
Matt AndersonTuesday, February 19, 2013 4:51:09 PMAnother reason not to smoke! Lighting a lighter may cause you to spontaneously combust!
John KrahnTuesday, February 19, 2013 5:12:11 PMI used to study cases like this. In almost every case, it is a smoker who is also an alcoholic. The theory isnt that they spontaneously combust without an outside source of ignition as much as it is the person passes out after consuming large quantities of alcohol and drops the cigarette. It is also theorized that the body acts as a wick, where the fat is burned. Interested stuff though.
Kurtis CookTuesday, February 19, 2013 5:21:41 PMPeople have exploded their colon by placing a lighter next to the anus and fart.