River Edge Fire Department Fire Chief John Mauthe made the decision after Firefighter Joseph Cerciello, 50, was arrested Oct. 16 for driving under the influence. Firefighter Cerciello clipped a car in a firehouse parking lot, according to the Record.
He reportedly couldn't judge the proper distance between his car and another when he was backing up and caused the accident.
"Because the motor vehicle accident occurred on borough property, the fire chief ordered that the fire department cease serving alcoholic beverages in both of the fire companies," Mayor Sandy Moscaritolo said.
Firefighter Cerciello is the second River Edge volunteer firefighter to be charged with DUI this year.
It is unclear if there will be any departmental action taken against Firefighter Cerciello.
The comments below are member-generated and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of FireRescue1.com or its staff. If you cannot see comments, try disabling privacy and ad blocking plugins in your browser.
Tom KellyFriday, October 26, 2012 5:43:08 PMUnclear if there will be any acton taken? Really what are they thinking? What ever happen to ethics in our job?
Russ GregstonSaturday, October 27, 2012 7:08:09 AMHaving a bar at the Firehouse was a bad idea to begin with.
Carol LinnellSaturday, October 27, 2012 7:15:01 AMYup, what could possibly go wrong?!
Billy GillamSaturday, October 27, 2012 2:55:22 PMAs for alcoholic beverages being sold in the firehouses, that is not a very good idea. I know that this something that has been going on for years and that some will say: It is a tradition in our company to do it. Well is it tradition to also have someone show up at an emergency while under the influence of alcohol as well? What is the state law in this department’s area for selling beer or having it available in the fire stations? This could get to be a major legal problem, and the Chief did the right thing. Luckily no one has or was injured in the past.
Alain DuaneSaturday, October 27, 2012 8:26:54 PMThis makes me sick really, if he was a sworn in firefighter, that makes me even more sick to my stomach...
Bill HoeftSunday, October 28, 2012 10:45:11 AMHaving an open bar in a working fire house is beyond bizzare. It deserves a "what were they thinking" response.
Butch PerrySunday, October 28, 2012 11:45:11 AMI have heard of everything now!!!!!!!
Steve EdgarSunday, October 28, 2012 5:38:03 PMwow really, how backwards can you get serving booze in a firehouse and allowing personnel to drink and then hope they can function on a call.....That is brilliant leadership..
Jody KullFriday, November 02, 2012 5:05:16 PMI realize some of you live in your own perfect little worlds, but this is a common fundraising practice in some areas. The fire companies have social clubs with bars. These fire companies have hundreds of members. The bar is not inside the truck room, and there are no firefighters "on duty" drinking.
Pat RadfordFriday, November 02, 2012 5:58:52 PMbeen at a firehall where they used old pop machine as beer machine.
Rudy Caparros Sr.Wednesday, December 19, 2012 12:11:24 PMWARNING: FIRST RESPONDERS’ use of THE CHLORINE INSTITUTE “C” KIT may cause the catastrophic failure of a chlorine tank car, instantly creating a toxic gas plume with a distance of not less than seven miles. The first mile will have chlorine concentrations of 1,000 ppm, causing death after one or two breaths with no opportunity for escape. To learn more, see PETITION C KIT, click on “First Responder Warnings.”.