Video: Cop draws gun on responding firefighter

The firefighter has filed a $50,000 claim over the incident

OREGON, Wis. — A volunteer firefighter has filed a $50,000 claim after alleging an officer overreacted when he drew his gun during a traffic stop.

Oregon officer Ted Gilbertson was responding to reports of a motorist possibly impersonating a police officer in June when he pulled over Brooklyn volunteer firefighter Dan Dean.

Dean had been paged to respond to a fire and drove to his firehouse in his personal vehicle.

Gilbertson pursued Dean's vehicle before he stopped at the station's parking lot.

The police department's internal investigation cleared Gilbertson of any wrongdoing and accused Dean of recklessly responding to a non-emergency. He was cited for failing to yield to an emergency vehicle, according to Wisconsin State Journal.

Dean claimed he didn't pull over because he thought the patrol car was responding to the same incident. "I thought, 'We're heading to the same call," he said. He has filed the $50,000 claim against the village of Oregon.

Dash cam video shows Dean getting out of his car, then ordered by Gilbertson to get back inside. Gilbertson then approached the car with both hands on his pistol.

Lt. Karey Clark, who conducted the police department's internal investigation, said in a report, "Our officer, acting in good faith, thought he was involved in a high-speed chase. "At the end of such a pursuit, an officer is to treat the situation as a high-risk traffic stop and use an appropriate level of force until the situation is deemed under control, which is what our officer did."

According to the Wicsonisn State Journal, the call Dean was responding to was a refrigerator fire.

Comments
Robbie Crawford Robbie Crawford Monday, November 05, 2012 4:07:20 PM Cops vs firefighters again this is getting old cops think they know everything and everyone is a criminal
Dean Fryda Dean Fryda Monday, November 05, 2012 4:30:47 PM Just watched the video. Police officers are in charge of scene safety. Many times enroute to calls I'll meet up with County Sheriffs', but I'll always let them pass me, ESPECIALLY in a POV. This entire mess could of been prevented just by slowing down and letting the officer pass. Although from the video, you couldn't tell that he was driving an emergency vehicle, the black car didn't have 360 degree lighting, which is required for WI (and siren) in order to be considered an emergency vehicle.
Wayland Slater Wayland Slater Monday, November 05, 2012 4:31:25 PM A fridge fire can become very dangerous very quickly, especially older one's that use freon. What happens when freon starts to burn? It because it gives of fosgene (sp?), a very poisonous gas. And there's the little thing of a possible explosion. But I remember in the late 70's through at least '89, police would follow an ambulance running red lights and siren to the hosp. If the officer felt that the patient was not serious enough to deem lights and sirens they would ticket them for speeding, putting others in danger, wreckless driving, and almost anything they could think of. But after some law suits, especially suits against the officer and PD's and their cities, things eased up. But on the other hand, you had EMS drivers ran lights and sirens without even having a patient or responding to a call. They just wanted to get out of town traffic. I just hope that now enough emergency personel have started using just good old fashion common sense.
Richard Rathke Stannard Richard Rathke Stannard Monday, November 05, 2012 5:12:17 PM dumb ass, he should have pulled over explained to the officer what was up. I couldn't see any lights, and they were looking for a black car with a red light acting like a cop anyhow. That department doesn't have any policies in place about response speed, with lights or without lights? This is a case of another idiot that wants to play fireman and gives the rest of the volunteers a bad name. It could have been avoided with common sense of the firefighters end of this.
Matt Festoff Matt Festoff Monday, November 05, 2012 5:46:02 PM In a PoV at least in NJ we're only allowed forward facing blue's and strobes in head and taillights.
Robert Perkins Robert Perkins Monday, November 05, 2012 5:46:36 PM Wow! Mistakes made on both sides....but the volunteer should have pulled over, explained what's going on, doesn't usually take more than a minute or two.
Monday, November 05, 2012 5:50:21 PM I think both sides should look at this incident and use it as a tool to learn how to better handle these situations in the future. I agree that both sides could and should of handled things differently, but it should never decline to the point that it's us against them. We should all have common goals and work together to avoid situations like this, no one is saying it is easy but it can be done.
Alex Velasco Alex Velasco Monday, November 05, 2012 5:55:55 PM What the volunteer thought was happening does not supercede what the LAW IS for responding to an emergency call. The officer did the right thing by responding to the dispatchers call of the alledged vehicle. The volunteer obviously didn't know what the protocal is for responding to a call. I had to take a "Emergency Vehicle Operators" course to have a license to drive my Sheriff's unit as well as the volunteer ems and fire units. I don't know what the hell they have going on over there but as Richard Stannard stated it does make volunteers look bad.
Christopher Hopkins Christopher Hopkins Monday, November 05, 2012 5:58:49 PM The officer was very respectful and just doing his job he is trained to use that gun so quite crying and get over it he was very professional so show him the respect he showed you.
Steven R. Stapleton Steven R. Stapleton Monday, November 05, 2012 6:05:05 PM I'm going to have to side with the cop on this one. Really? 20+ MPH over the posted speed limit, I don't think so. Then the cop was nothing but professional once the guy explained who he was and what was going on, drop the lawsuit and man up, YOU WERE WRONG!
Bobby Kimble Bobby Kimble Monday, November 05, 2012 6:06:55 PM I can understand the FF thought the officer was enroute to the same call. But I feel the officer was justified how he handled the call, especially with the information they were given about the other call. A little over the top, maybe. I think the officer was OK with what he did.
Michael S Rennie Michael S Rennie Monday, November 05, 2012 6:07:25 PM I have trouble finding fault with the EMS responder. The officer couldn't get close enough to get a plate number at 45 mph, but then stated that he was right on him. The officer was the only one that endangered public safety running over 100 mph in a 55 mph zone. Also before he even exited his car the officer was told that the plate was a WI EMS plate and the guy pulled into an EMS building. Doesn't 2+2 still equal 4? Looked to me more like FF vs PD, or the officer just thought he was all that.
Josh Palychuk Josh Palychuk Monday, November 05, 2012 6:07:25 PM http://www.google.ca/imgres?um=1&hl=en&sa=N&rlz=1C1AVSH_enCA464CA464&biw=1680&bih=935&tbm=isch&tbnid=mc5OLPk6yZDmSM:&imgrefurl=http://www.gillikinconsulting.com/2011/04/respect-my-authoritaaah-for-bloggers/&docid=W2yY5mccBzaioM&imgurl=http://www.gillikinconsulting.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/CartmanAuthoritah.jpg&w=452&h=320&ei=rXCYUMuFDaKRiQLxtIHYCA&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=790&vpy=300&dur=283&hovh=189&hovw=267&tx=208&ty=136&sig=104957940233564053033&page=1&tbnh=135&tbnw=212&start=0&ndsp=40&ved=1t:429,r:10,s:0,i:99
John Guerra H H John Guerra H H Monday, November 05, 2012 6:11:54 PM This is getting old. The introduction of new technology into police cars that has been happening for some time now should also include a car registered recognition module to help misunderstandings like this happening. We first responders need too be able to our job without fear but we also must recognise that we are in a position of authority and have act responsible at all times including coming and going from stations.
Shane Kessler Shane Kessler Monday, November 05, 2012 6:12:55 PM For real that cop was the most professional I have seen. No way it was excessive.
Kendal Moore Kendal Moore Monday, November 05, 2012 6:17:41 PM Thanks for not shit talking the officer! :-)
Michele Sharitz Michele Sharitz Monday, November 05, 2012 6:21:40 PM That was the calmest I have ever seen a cop after pulling someone over in what he thought was a legitimate pursuit. There is no reason that any department is pissed off or filing any charges. The cop did his job and did it extremely professional.
Ron Handke Ron Handke Monday, November 05, 2012 6:28:14 PM Both need to learn a bit more, Speeding to a call, well count the min. added if you drive in a normal manner, but also the officer needs to learn some better methods of conducting a normal speeding stop, and the gun stays in the holster. So either both where to blame, or it happened and live an learn.
Michele Sharitz Michele Sharitz Monday, November 05, 2012 6:29:57 PM This firefighter should go "volunteer" for the police department to appreciate what they do everyday. What a jerk!
Keith O'Daniel Keith O'Daniel Monday, November 05, 2012 6:35:03 PM Mike, What do you want the police to learn from this? The officer was in pursuit of a vehicle that was failing to yield. He followed his departments SOPs to the letter, and used the appropriate level of force at the end of the "chase". The fire department needs to look at their response program before one of their members hurts or kills a citizen in the community.
Johnny A Munch Johnny A Munch Monday, November 05, 2012 6:38:07 PM In my state response in a POV dose not give you the right to speed and if an emergency vehicle is coming up behind you code 3 you pull over and let them by if something like this happened in any department I have ever had anything to do with the FF probably been suspended or asked to turn in his gear
Patrick Ryan Patrick Ryan Monday, November 05, 2012 6:40:20 PM I don't think anybody needs to be suing anybody it was a misunderstanding on both sides. They both have a job to do and they need to understand what each others jobs are. I can see both sides cause I work both sides but we are all brothers trying to help people!
Sher Chadd-Kimble Sher Chadd-Kimble Monday, November 05, 2012 6:42:27 PM Some of them seem to be getting trigger happy these days
Victor Junior Barbee Victor Junior Barbee Monday, November 05, 2012 6:45:12 PM It boils down to the firefighters fault. You are in a pov, non emergency vehicle. If a cop get behind you, do as if you where not responding to a call. Slow down and pull, over. Its simple. That's there emergency not yours. It is not worth risking your life responding to a call or coming back from one. That's still a high number for ff fatality.
Walter Briggs Walter Briggs Monday, November 05, 2012 6:46:27 PM I've seen refrigerator fires fully-involve a structure. So what is it this is a "non-emergency" when it was the comm center who paged them?
Keith Miller Keith Miller Monday, November 05, 2012 6:47:26 PM Blue lights are curtesy lights... You still need to obey ALL traffic laws! I shut my lights off when income to a busy stop sign or if I'm not going to be the first car at a red light. If you obey the law then you have nothing to fear!
Michael Russo Michael Russo Monday, November 05, 2012 6:48:42 PM Just don't forget the speed limit and to stop at the red light...
Thomas Beal Thomas Beal Monday, November 05, 2012 6:52:09 PM I see mistakes on both sides. The firefighter should of pulled over regardless if he had lights or not. On the officers side he should of been aware of a fire via dispatch. Also this situation might of been defused with a department sticker on the back of the vehicle.
Keith Michaels Keith Michaels Monday, November 05, 2012 7:01:37 PM excuse me but since when does a FIRE in a HOUSE classify as as "NON-EMERGENCY"?
Thomas M Burroughs Jr Thomas M Burroughs Jr Monday, November 05, 2012 7:23:43 PM I just watched the video and the control center said the firefighter had a red flashing light on his dash, no wonder someone fought he was inpersonating a police officer, if I am correct in some states fire fighter responding to a call can only use blue lights.
Alex Thomas Alex Thomas Monday, November 05, 2012 7:25:57 PM I'm not trying to disrespect the officer, but I would think if he has an EMS plate, driving a vehicle with a red light, going to the fire station. He might be a firefighter.
Wm Boyd Howell Wm Boyd Howell Monday, November 05, 2012 7:32:43 PM A. Firefighter is a young rookie. B. The fire district doesn't get a lot of calls. C. All of the Above. Either way 20+ MPH over the posted limit...EXCESSIVE. Felony stop with gun drawn... EXCESSIVE. Filing a $50k claim against the city and the officer... EXCESSIVE. Fridge fires can become dangerous quickly, does not constitute 20+ MPH speeding. I have personally been guilty of speeding to STRUCTURE FIRE THAT DID NOT HAVE AN "ALL CLEAR" and had an officer attempt to traffic stop me. We are issued radios with law enforcement frequencies for a reason and I advised the officer we could discuss it after I was back in service. If he didn't have a radio...I'm sure he has a cell phone and could have called dispatch and asked them to radio the officer. This whole thing was blown out of proportion and could have been handled much differently. Learn from it!
Cody Welbig Cody Welbig Monday, November 05, 2012 7:32:48 PM wisconsin cant use blue lights we r only allowed red lights
Patrick Mark Hannah Patrick Mark Hannah Monday, November 05, 2012 7:33:54 PM Right on officer. Dean, if you were one of my volunteers, you would be done! Gilbertson is a acted very well in this situation. How about all those stop signs Dean ran?
John R Eeten John R Eeten Monday, November 05, 2012 7:38:39 PM Attend a few funerals and you may understand why Police Officers do what they do. They must protect themselves and us from gun happy criminals interested in remaining free no matter how they do it and how many people they shoot to maintain their freedom.
Tracy McMillan Tracy McMillan Monday, November 05, 2012 7:41:16 PM I am a fire chief and have a son who is a police officer. this appears to be one of those situations we never think could happen. I can not fault the police officer for following his training. I can see where he could have Thought the officer was going to the same call. I would think both side could set down and work this out wthout putting it in the paper. I support my firefighters, but I fully understand why the police office took the action he did knowing the little information we do.
Scott Mullin Scott Mullin Monday, November 05, 2012 7:44:30 PM Maybe it's because of a record number of assaults and murders of police officers lately. The officer is always in charge.
John R Eeten John R Eeten Monday, November 05, 2012 7:44:42 PM Sorry fellow Firefighters and EMS responders, the Officer did what he was suppose to do. Our Policies state "Response to be done at no more than posted speed limit or due caution regarding time of day, day of week, weather, and any other type of hazard may appear. We are the solution, not the problem. Pride, take ownership of what you do and how you do it.
Karl Desanto Jr. Karl Desanto Jr. Monday, November 05, 2012 7:47:16 PM Several things went wrong here. 1) when the officer started the pursuit, he should have asked dispatch if there was a fire or ems call in the area. That would have cleared up the emergency lights issue. don't assume its a suspect from an earlier case just because it kind of fits description. get a positive one first. they could throw away the failing to yield to an emergency vehicle. there both emergency vehicles at this point. 2) fire fighter did an average of 10 - 15 mph over speed limit. Cop maxed out at 101 in a 55. fire fighter also slowed around vehicles, used turn signals, and stopped at stop signs. You can now throw away. 3) fire was dispatched for smoke investigation. I don't know why they declare it non emergent when smoke means fire. (my dept showed up for a smoke investigation once and had a working house fire to deal with.) now they can throw away the recklessly responding to a non-emergency charge. cop was more reckless. 4) when they got to the station (even thought it should not have gotten that far) the multiple cars showing up and the truck getting ready to roll, not to mention he notices an ems plate, should have showed him that he was going to a call and should have let him go instantly. Now before I get yelled at for bashing a cop. I am a former Military Police Officer. Pulling a weapon for a high speed chase is the proper thing to do. but it should not have made it to that point. You have a radio to talk to a dispatch center that has the resources to find this stuff out. use it. Its not just the cops fault. the dispatcher should have put 2 and 2 together. if the dispatcher was designated to police only, he/she could have called fire/ems dispatch before it got out of hand. there was 7 minutes to do this. if it was a rookie cop not thinking ahead I can see this happening. but I don't think it was because he was calm and composed as well as polite and professional. just use your head and admit when your wrong. don't falsely charge the firefighter.
Todd E Gilbert Todd E Gilbert Monday, November 05, 2012 7:52:53 PM Unbelievable!!
Mitch Kratochvil Mitch Kratochvil Monday, November 05, 2012 7:55:59 PM Kind of an interesting situation if their state law gives the fireman emergency vehicle status. At the sametime if there dept policy stated that was a non emergency call the firefighter should be disciplined by their department - probably terminated. Goal is for everyone to be safe and go home!
Thomas M Burroughs Jr Thomas M Burroughs Jr Monday, November 05, 2012 8:06:09 PM I thought red lights where only for emergency vehicles ie: fire trucks, ambulances, police vehicles and not for POV's, If i saw a vehicle behind me with a red flashing light i would think it was the police.
Karl Poenicke Karl Poenicke Monday, November 05, 2012 8:50:29 PM As a fire chief, I believe the officer was justified in his actions. As much as I would want to support my firefighter, he was in the wrong. Policy clearly stated that it was a non-emergency response. Done. Getting everyone to follow policy is another matter. The story stated that several others responded with lights and sirens, something is not being followed or being misunderstood. As others have stated, the officer was very professional and respectful when questioning the firefighter, he was acting as he was trained. End of story, drop your lawsuit, get your head on straight act as a professional firefighter and use the travel time to think of what you need to do when you get to the call.
Corey Fugate Corey Fugate Monday, November 05, 2012 8:59:09 PM That why you should have your vehicle lighted property
Joseph A. Hermann Joseph A. Hermann Monday, November 05, 2012 9:00:32 PM Have agree with law enforcement. You can't help anyone if you don't get there or cause a injury accident taxing resources even more
Hunter Phillips Hunter Phillips Monday, November 05, 2012 9:00:39 PM moron(the volly)
Bob Dellinger III Bob Dellinger III Monday, November 05, 2012 9:02:50 PM you're in an unmarked personal vehicle with emergency dash lights, PULL OVER, at least get tags identifying your car and magnetic id plates for the doors. The officer didn't know you were on your way to respond to a fire. You take responsibility and drop the stupid law suit.
Britt Mabry Britt Mabry Monday, November 05, 2012 9:09:07 PM You need to reread this. Dean never got over 65 used signal lights and stopped at the stop signs. Gilbertson reached speeds in excess of 100 in initiating the pursuit crossed the center line on a hill to pass a car. Radio confirmed they were emergency plates and Gilbertson observed other firefighters responding to the call and the bay doors up and trucks getting ready to leave. And still felt the need for a felony stop. Wow!!
Jake Young Jake Young Monday, November 05, 2012 9:37:58 PM Well the guy responding in the pov, his department should have given him a soecial license plate and his vehicle should have 360 lighting and a siren, and in a few places this isnt even allowed, they need to change the rules and laws on pov response in order to make it safer for everyone.
Mar Louis Mar Louis Monday, November 05, 2012 9:38:29 PM Karl you make so much sense - logistical, legal AND and common - you could be an excellent lawyer-mediator.
Vernon Tucker Vernon Tucker Monday, November 05, 2012 10:07:42 PM its happened to me just pull over let the officer know and be on your way. simple and no one looses their cool.
Kathy Hubbard Almassy Kathy Hubbard Almassy Tuesday, November 06, 2012 3:33:07 AM In Charles county police are the only ones allowed to use blue. Firefighters and ems only can use red. State police use red and blue
Vinnie Brennan Vinnie Brennan Tuesday, November 06, 2012 3:40:19 AM Wish FH.com would have thrown "volunteer" in the headline, it would have cut to the point and saved me time from reading it....btw, the cop was correct.
Rick Nason Rick Nason Tuesday, November 06, 2012 4:11:08 AM I agree. Did not see anything wrong by either side. Speed was a little excessive by both though.
Tim J Austin Tim J Austin Tuesday, November 06, 2012 4:34:31 AM The gun was a bit much but the rest of the stop was clean and I feel the officer was polite and justified. always remember that law enforcement carries guns to protect themselves, not you!
Jeff Allen Jeff Allen Tuesday, November 06, 2012 5:06:48 AM People, why can't we all get along. Both parties in this case are at fault. The FF should have pulled over and identified himself. That would have negated the behavior in the parking lot. HUGE ego issues from both parties here. I strongly urge the Chiefs to get together and work out a policy that will be agreeable to both agencies, RIGHT AWAY before somebody gets hurt. Stay safe.
Steven McNaughton Steven McNaughton Tuesday, November 06, 2012 5:26:19 AM I know in my state of NY, volunteers responding to a station are not generally running emergency lights and a siren. We still have to yield to True emergency vehicles. He should have stopped and explained rather than keep driving. Cop looks like he did what he was trained to do. Get it over yourself and stop trying to grab free money out of your mistake.
Brian Blackburn Brian Blackburn Tuesday, November 06, 2012 5:28:21 AM This is why we need a national standard for POVs. In Michigan red lights, 360 degree view and siren. PD has to yield to FD and FD has to yield to EMS. life safety is number one goal of public safety.
Derek Scalese Derek Scalese Tuesday, November 06, 2012 6:03:59 AM That cop did NOTHING wrong! I blame it on the state who let these vollys drive their POV's w lights and sirens on them! 55 in a 30 is way excessive (to be honest I saw 70 in a 30).
Derek Scalese Derek Scalese Tuesday, November 06, 2012 6:06:08 AM who cares what the plate says. The car could have been stolen. The laws should MAKE all POV's obey all traffic laws if they want to run with their little red lights and sirens in their POV's. Someone is gonna get killed one of these days!
Des Man Des Man Tuesday, November 06, 2012 6:10:01 AM I see nothing wrong with what he did. As for the $50,000 claim, that's going too far...
Brandon Israel Brandon Israel Tuesday, November 06, 2012 6:20:16 AM this officer was completely in the wrong all the way. I would have thought he was goin to the same call too especially when he's more then 3 football fields away from the other car. and then he still didn't get up too his bumper until almost to the station. see this is y I don't live up north, I like my sirens and my lights, and our cops hear the same calls we do so there's no mess up or response time delays.
Derek Scalese Derek Scalese Tuesday, November 06, 2012 6:24:53 AM finally..a responsible reply to this issue!!
Halligan Tool Halligan Tool Tuesday, November 06, 2012 6:34:05 AM Nice Job by the police officer. He was respectful and used the appropriate amount of force considering he did not know the reason this firefighter was not pulling over. GREAT JOB by the officer. Maybe next time the responding firefighter should obey the law and pull over and not assume that the PD is responding to the same run as he.
Jim Smith Jim Smith Tuesday, November 06, 2012 7:33:12 AM I am neither Fireman nor Police, so, I believe both acted appropriately given the information here. The cop should not have issued the ticket and the fireman should not file any type of claim. Both should thank each other NOTHING happened. It was just one of those things that nobody expects to happen but it did. I do not fault either one for their actions.
Kurt Bendoraitis Kurt Bendoraitis Tuesday, November 06, 2012 7:58:41 AM Responding to a call in your PV , you should always pull over for Emergency Vehicles responding to a call. They are more important then you in your PV. Yeah that Cop could have been going to your call or could be going to something else and they always have the right of way. I still feel that this is a situation that could have been handled privately. Both Firefighter and Cop acted respectfully during their encounter. I think this may be more of a bruised ego situation.
Corey Trewhella Corey Trewhella Tuesday, November 06, 2012 8:54:01 AM In most states the fire emergency response vehicles are supposed to only go 10mph over the posted limit while going code. A POV going to the station just to go respond needs to adhere to the posted speed limit. The police officer did what they were supposed to do given the situation.
Corey Trewhella Corey Trewhella Tuesday, November 06, 2012 8:57:42 AM I'm not saying this is all Volunteers but, when you have people that are barely trained and can only commit their time volunteering, you have more incidents like these. I have witnessed and worked with volunteer FFs that do a good job and I know a community can only afford what it can. Its like the difference between the National Guard and the Marines.
Michael Reynerson Michael Reynerson Tuesday, November 06, 2012 9:04:54 AM Thank you!
Patrick Mark Hannah Patrick Mark Hannah Tuesday, November 06, 2012 9:26:11 AM No Britt, I watched the video. Read what you want. I seen him blow stop signs. He didnt confirm the plates until the stop. You would think I would know what I'm talking about. Who has done this more, you or me?
Geoffrey Kerns Geoffrey Kerns Tuesday, November 06, 2012 9:54:04 AM What a scumbag. I guess people will take any excuse to grab at some cash. From what I know about these things, most volunteer organizations require their people responding from home to obey posted speed limits. Even if he was following department policy and he thought the officer was responding to the same call, it is understandable why the officer drew on him. Instead of taking the situation for what it was, however, this moron had to drag his organization as well as the local PD into the newspapers so that he could get some fast cash.
Steve Kady Steve Kady Tuesday, November 06, 2012 10:12:56 AM Lots of should a done this? I question the fact that someone complained of a black, Dodge Charger impersonating a police officer. This could be lame. As far as the action of the police officer, I think he did a very good job of not yelling at the driver. Usually after a "hi speed" chase" officers are very vocal to the driver. This officer appeared very calm. The ff also stayed very calm and the first thing he did was tosay he was sorry. Every district has different rules. I feel there should be an agreement between the FD and Police as what the firefighters should do if they are caught in this type of situation. The officer noted the traffic was "light" I didn't see any vehicles on the road. There were on 3 cars before the officer turned on his lights and only one vehicle when he had them on. Frankly, I see both side of this situation. Both are right and both are wrong. Guess the courts will decide.
Mark Palmer Mark Palmer Tuesday, November 06, 2012 10:34:00 AM Police officer was correct.
Scott Fenwick Scott Fenwick Tuesday, November 06, 2012 10:48:57 AM Yes, the officer was correct.
Karl Groth Karl Groth Tuesday, November 06, 2012 11:29:02 AM Even if you’re in a fire truck you need to yield to a police car. One great example is they could be trying to pull you over because there is an issue with your vehicle. The best solution is to have a great relationship with your local police. They play a huge part in our work and deserve the respect that comes with the uniform.
Andy Williamson Andy Williamson Tuesday, November 06, 2012 12:47:12 PM Agree
Adam J. Van Becelaere Adam J. Van Becelaere Tuesday, November 06, 2012 1:36:53 PM According to Missouri state statute First Responders/FF may respond at speeds above the posted speed limit with emergency lights and sirens activated as long as they keep due regard for other vehicles on the roadway, with that being said it is also the wording for all emergency vehicles in our state. The lights and sirens only ask for the right of way so you must drive accordingly. certain departments have written standards of no more than 10 mph on a city road and 15 mph over on highways and some dont. the difference is we must have activated emergency lights on the front and rear of the vehicle and we are only allowed blue lights unless you are command staff. any way it goes I have had the in-opportunity to be pursued by a local police officer who didn't agree with me running emergency to a structure fire until I contacted his dispatch via radio and advised them that the vehicle being pursued was enroute to a confirmed fire with poss entrapment. should I have pulled over....maybe. We have a job to do just like the officers do. If an officer attempted to pull over my ambulance while running emergency I would advise my emt to ignore him and deal with it later. We have the same rights and responsibilities that the officers do in an emergency situation. Some officers won't agree until we are responding to them when they are the ones injured!
John Steltenpohl John Steltenpohl Tuesday, November 06, 2012 2:24:52 PM Clearly another big headed cop putting many lives in danger doing 100 mph for absolutely no reason. I'm with the ff. Cops are supposed to have our backs, not point guns at us for no reason at all. Also, why wasnt this cop advised of the fire call nearby? In my town cops respond to everything we do.
Mike Trammell Mike Trammell Tuesday, November 06, 2012 3:47:54 PM As a former leo and now as a volunteer for the past 8 years , the officer was in the right. Here in N.M. you cannot use a foward flashing red light unless you get approval from the state police. Our policies do not allow us to us them, but I along with a few others have used our hazard flashers on our pov s and stay at or below the maxium speed limit in NM while on state hwys while enroute to the station. We follow the " rules of the road" while operating in this manner, I have been surprised at the number of people that are gracious enough to move over , we only pass when its safe even when people don't want to move over! Finally when some have had leos come up with their lights on we always stop and explain who where and why , which has never resulted in tickets and on one occasion an escort!
Michael S Rennie Michael S Rennie Wednesday, November 07, 2012 3:43:49 AM Derek that was the most ignorant comment I have ever heard simply due to the tones you used in it. What you said could have been a ligit argument, but you obviously have the whole career staff are real FFs and Volunteers just take our jobs mentality. I have been around career departments, I have been around combo departments, and I have been around volunteer departments. Most of your volunteers would love to be career staff (and are capable) just small towns don't have the money for that. There are a lot of great FFs in career departments, but from my experience the best FFs are volunteers. There you get the people that really want to do the job. The are no fights over that's not in my contract, pay rate increases cause that's not in my job description, etc. Not saying all career staff are that way, but as with any job, you get some people that are only doing that job cause of the pay, or as I call it heroe-itis. You just don't get that in volunteer departments. So come down off your high horse. We all do the same job if we get paid to do it or volunteer our time to do it. Respect the job completed, not the pay check
Dan Dean Dan Dean Wednesday, November 07, 2012 4:09:26 PM The article does not give all the details of what transpired especially weeks after the incident. I am not looking for any money, the civil suit was filed because the complaint filed with the OPD was never addressed. I have found several of the comments on here quite insightful, and I would agree both of us probably could have handled the situation differently.
Dan Dean Dan Dean Wednesday, November 07, 2012 4:11:47 PM And Rich for the record in our rural community there are probably a dozen times a year that I have a sheriff in front of me or behind me responding to calls and have never had an issue.
Sean Ezell Sean Ezell Wednesday, November 07, 2012 6:17:56 PM Well put Michael S. Rennie. Your 2 replies are correct, especially the 2nd one in reference to Derek Scalese's comment.
Michael S Rennie Michael S Rennie Wednesday, November 07, 2012 8:34:59 PM First thing the officer should learn is that lights don't require 100 mph. Too many times have I seen PD think they are above the law and drive how ever fast they want no matter what. Lights only ask for the right away, don't promise it. They never give you permission to do almost twice the speed limit. Those limits are put in place to maintain safety, so twice that speed is definitely not safe.
John Erlandson John Erlandson Thursday, November 08, 2012 6:30:33 AM Some of the most buffoonish behavior I have ever seen in the Fire Service has been from career FF's. Way to generalize 70% of the Firefighters in the US.
Vinnie Brennan Vinnie Brennan Thursday, November 08, 2012 6:34:08 AM Ha...."buffoonish" there is deep irony in that word....
John Erlandson John Erlandson Thursday, November 08, 2012 10:19:28 AM Glad you like it Vinnie! I do not have a patent on it so feel free to use whenever you want. Stay Safe!
John Erlandson John Erlandson Thursday, November 08, 2012 10:26:32 AM I would have said Stay Safe 'Brother' but I didn't want to offend you.
Vinnie Brennan Vinnie Brennan Thursday, November 08, 2012 11:03:28 AM You did like a generalization, but in turn generalize yourself....more missed irony I suppose....to hell with logic too.
John Erlandson John Erlandson Thursday, November 08, 2012 11:34:56 AM Well Vinnie, I AM just a hick from the sticks so set your expectations low. I wish you well.
Vinnie Brennan Vinnie Brennan Thursday, November 08, 2012 11:45:42 AM Ah...Socratic method....cute...but off point considering you have made another generalization....
Friday, November 09, 2012 5:45:31 PM Cops......idiot cowards in Clown costumes with lethal weapons; a recipe for disaster! To you spineless mammals, especially if you are a firefighter, siding with boy with the pot metal badge.....way to have your brother's back you gutless slime. Congrats you just demonstrated the highest form of cowardice.
Rick Johnson Rick Johnson Saturday, November 10, 2012 6:17:31 AM We bring these incidents upon ourselves by not acting responsible behind the wheel. Lights and sirens do not give you automatic access to the road, they only mean you are asking for that right of way. Common sense dictates a lot in these situations and some of us have lost that sense when those tones go off. "Be safe" you are no good to anyone if you don't make it to the scene.
Blaine Elder Blaine Elder Saturday, November 10, 2012 6:35:52 AM Did he have any type of ID on the rear of his car stating VFD.
Don Drayton Don Drayton Sunday, November 11, 2012 9:47:20 AM A refrigerator fire, soon to be a house fire, but does not excuse high speed by the volunteer. A word in his defense in not stopping though, he probably didn't know of the other incident. Still no reason not to stop for the Officer.
Glen Randall Glen Randall Sunday, November 11, 2012 9:47:48 AM Why didn't he have hid lights and siren on?
Don Drayton Don Drayton Sunday, November 11, 2012 9:49:08 AM As to the law suit, Suck it up boy, you screwed up.
Glen Randall Glen Randall Sunday, November 11, 2012 9:49:32 AM Oops. I meant his not hid. Sorry.
Henry D Langley Henry D Langley Monday, November 12, 2012 5:38:37 PM Police Computers should have a list of responders in their district would prevent stupidity. EX K.C. Mo. Fireman.
Larry Via Larry Via Tuesday, November 13, 2012 6:11:15 AM I guess the dispatcher was asleep and the law and fire dept. don't have the same channels to communicate with just like a bunch of yanks.

Fire Department Management