93-year-old EMT still responding to calls

Clinton Lowman started serving his community as a volunteer firefighter in 1962

By Mary Elizabeth Robertson
The News  Herald

HILDEBRAN, N.C. — The pager goes off and Clinton Lowman drops what he is doing to rush to his black pickup.

There’s an emergency in Icard and Lowman, an Emergency Medical Technician, heads to the scene ready to help the person in need.

When he arrives, he is used to folks doing a double take when they see who hops out of the truck to help them.

That's because Lowman is 93.

“(A nursing home facility) had a call about 10 or 12 years ago, the first call we ran up there, one of the nurses turned around to him and asked (Lowman) if he was where he was supposed to be,” said Brand Lingerfelt, fire chief at Icard Township Fire Department. “It’s highly unusual seeing someone in their 80s and 90s working as a volunteer, out there responding to help folks.”

Helping people is why Lowman keeps doing what he does.

“It gives you an awful good feeling if you help someone,” he said.

Lowman got his start as an EMT after he retired from his other position at a local mill in 1982.

“I was over the hosiery mill, I was over the knitting room,” he said.

Lowman was born Jan. 22, 1919 in Caldwell County. He came to Burke County when his parents wanted to find a home and settled in the area. He worked throughout his life and married his wife, Sally, in 1937.

Lowman began serving the community as a firefighter in 1962. He joined the Icard Township Fire Rescue as a volunteer firefighter.

At the Icard Township Fire Rescue, volunteers must have at least two years experience as a firefighter before being able to answer a medical call, Lingerfelt said.

Lowman said he can still put out a fire today.

“As long as the hose has water in it,” he said.

He worked as the assistant chief over traffic control, a position he continues to hold in the department.

He became an EMT in 1982 just because the class needed participants.

“They started the class and didn’t have enough (participants) to do that particular class,” he said.

So Lowman joined the class and received his certification to be an EMT.

Despite being an active member of Henry River Baptist Church and having six children and 12 grand and great-grand children, Lowman answers every call he gets.

He drops what he is doing and hops into his black GMC pick-up truck filled with gear.

“The back of it’s full,” he said.

Lowman comes in everyday despite his age because of his commitment, friends said.

“His brotherhood,” Brand Lingerfelt said. “We’re a big family here.”

Lingerfelt and Lowman are proof of that, as the two have been friends for 35 years.

"He sets the example for present and past members of the department on how this community is served," Lingerfelt said.

While Lowman has no plans of stopping, he says even when he can no longer volunteer as an EMT, he will still swing by the department.

“I’ll stop by for a cup of coffee,” Lowman said.

Republished with permission from The News herald

Comments
Troy Green Troy Green Monday, November 19, 2012 4:16:59 PM that's what you call a true dedication.
Austin Schmitt Austin Schmitt Monday, November 19, 2012 4:32:03 PM What an inspiration.
Jamie Kennedy Jamie Kennedy Monday, November 19, 2012 5:04:18 PM This man is my hero.
Kevin Thomas O'Connor Kevin Thomas O'Connor Monday, November 19, 2012 5:05:51 PM This man is my idol!
Kathleen M Nistock Kathleen M Nistock Monday, November 19, 2012 5:18:19 PM God Bless him!
Dan Jankowski Dan Jankowski Monday, November 19, 2012 5:46:46 PM then he gets a LODD $ for falling over daed after answeing a call within 24hrs of his pspassing:( No physical fitness exams or medical evavuations like everyone else , this is flat out IGNORANT! Sorry fols just saw too many LODDS in their 30's and 40's in my career , nice try but give it up, quit taking a young able bodies position away.
Tanya Marie Riley Tanya Marie Riley Monday, November 19, 2012 6:44:25 PM It a dumbass!!!!
Jay Becky Thompson Jay Becky Thompson Monday, November 19, 2012 6:47:30 PM Clinton is a hero, period. Not many will ever risk their lives and yet here is a VOLUNTEER (just in case you missed that part, Dan) that continues to serve his community. I don't think he is kicking in doors and repelling off roofs... he is responding and helping where and as he can.
Teddy Rutledge Teddy Rutledge Monday, November 19, 2012 7:06:21 PM Sounds like sour grapes!
Trevor Wood Trevor Wood Monday, November 19, 2012 7:07:30 PM He looks healthier at 93 than a lot of Fireman/EMT's look at 23 now a days...Maybe they are in an area where they can use any help they can get? Who knows...Way to cast judgement on someone/something you know nothing about Dan...I also didn't see any where in the article where it says they do not receive physicals or med. evals? He may pass them. Some elderly ppl are in pretty good shape..
Ashley Pitts Ashley Pitts Monday, November 19, 2012 7:08:50 PM This is awesome...this shows this mans true dedication!
Raymond Callahan Raymond Callahan Monday, November 19, 2012 7:12:23 PM God Bless him
Warren Moore Warren Moore Monday, November 19, 2012 7:14:24 PM Don't be a dick.
Dan Jankowski Dan Jankowski Monday, November 19, 2012 7:24:46 PM 32 years as a career firefighter/paramedic and bureau chief I know quite a bit about this subject most like more than you by far, Also i was a Jolly volly in my spare time saw these knuckleheads hang around taking up space till they fell over dead doing nothinf Coming for their free steak dinner on an ambulace cot because they couldn't walk in the station to get it , been there hauled his ass, then told me I abused my bunker gear cause there were burn holes in my knee pads from actually doing suppression work, I ll match my training education and stats against ANYdody on here except for FDNY people
Chris James Chris James Monday, November 19, 2012 7:31:08 PM that's alwsome
Chris James Chris James Monday, November 19, 2012 7:36:22 PM y'all in ohio wouldn't know what a real fire was if it hit y'all in the face i believe that man HAS more and will have more experience then you will ever have in your entire life span just cause your a paid dumb ass don't mean you know more or have see it all and who ever put u in a position of bureau chief was just as dumb as you
Tyler Bellman Tyler Bellman Monday, November 19, 2012 8:03:15 PM @Chris - this man your calling "dumb" was going into fires before your mom made the mistake of not swallowing. To say that Ohio doesn't know what a real fire is itself shows your lack of intelligence. You are 22 years old, please inform me how many fires you have been in and how many dead bodies you have drug out of a building. As one of the best rescue squad men in the area I'm pretty confidant Dan has you trumped there. You also like Chicago fire, says enough in itself. And let's talk about this 93 year old EMT basic who I'm sure cant even lift a cot. His dedication is commendable, however find a position that fits your current capabilities rather than putting others safety in jeopardy.
Nicholas Wright Nicholas Wright Monday, November 19, 2012 9:52:04 PM Wow yep you were a big city fireman in a city of 14000 from the 2010 census. That really makes you all knowing. Also this vol has more heart because he don't get paid and I appreciate all my vollies on medical calls.
Dan Jankowski Dan Jankowski Monday, November 19, 2012 10:37:29 PM thanks Tyler, that's why their actionphotos show them sitting on their asses squirting water in the window instead of an aggressive interior attack,
Dan Jankowski Dan Jankowski Monday, November 19, 2012 10:39:34 PM CHICAGO FIRE IS THE WORST TV show Ever , only a hillbilly would watch it and enjoy it
Chris James Chris James Tuesday, November 20, 2012 3:46:13 AM yeah i might be a hillbilly but us hillbillies know what fires are and BTW I'm 24 not 22 and I've been fighting fire since i was 13 you know y Cause Im alwsome and so thats where we are right now
Warren Moore Warren Moore Tuesday, November 20, 2012 3:49:16 AM The intellect level of the FF mentality has sure been revealed in this thread.
Gregory C Brierley Gregory C Brierley Tuesday, November 20, 2012 4:48:14 AM Dan, sounds like your doing the job for the wrong reasons, I am currently just fininshing my FF1 school at 56 yol and I can't beleieve I am doing better then some of the 21 year olds in school. I have been a EMT as soon as I turned 17 an enjoyed helping people. I am looking forward to my FF2 school and enjoy helping people in the time of need during a emergency. I hope to keep serving my community till I can't do it any more....and I almost forgot. I had a total left knee replacement 3 years ago and have never felt better. I don't look at my EMT and FF service as a job, I looke at it as a calling to do what's right.
Deanna Clifford Deanna Clifford Tuesday, November 20, 2012 5:29:14 AM Wow, what a great person and even better role model for the younger generation
Saul Moreno Palacios Saul Moreno Palacios Wednesday, November 21, 2012 10:27:36 AM I want to be like Clinton Lowman when I grow up.
Janet Stines Janet Stines Wednesday, November 21, 2012 9:45:32 PM More power to him--I am 92 and still selling Real Estate and helping everyone when they need help and enjoy every minute I can help and be able to do it!
Patrick A McMahon Patrick A McMahon Friday, November 23, 2012 1:36:53 AM @ Dan Jankowski wow man spell check failed and dude honestly if had heart it be a miracle cause I will take a department full Clinton Lowman, he has true dedication to his department... Who would sign up for a class to fill spot cause there wasnt a body and WOW at his age then in 1982 to pass and receive his EMT cert and umm ooh wait ain't there renewals that has to be done to keep your license every umm 2 yrs? So now tell me at 93 and still able to pass NREMT and State wow that says a lot for him! I Praise Clinton for his service and dedication!
Mike Odell Mike Odell Friday, November 23, 2012 1:40:52 PM As a Capt. of the Masonville Fire Dept. in Masonville New York I would like to commend Clinton for all his dedic ation and committment. He is a model we should all try to follow. Keep it up Brother.
Marco Fdez Marco Fdez Friday, November 23, 2012 2:13:25 PM vocation...no more wordsm my respects for Clint.
Katy Potter Katy Potter Thursday, November 29, 2012 9:06:23 PM go man go!
Wayne E. Hendrix Wayne E. Hendrix Saturday, January 18, 2014 4:25:20 AM When I served in my hometown of Switzerland Florida we had Mr. Hadley he was 73 and still responding to calls we never let him have an active interior fire attack roll but he certainly helped with hose management and cleanup as well as actively responding to EVERY SINGLE medical call for help. Way to go 93-year-old EMT Clint Lowman. God Bless You

Fire Department Management