Fight between firefighters leaves 1 dead

A 56-year-old Okla. volunteer firefighter is dead after a fight at the fire station with a fellow firefighter

STROTHER, Okla. — Authorities are not releasing the name of the volunteer firefighter involved in fight at the station that left Capt. Dale Patterson, 56, dead.

No arrests have been made and the nature of the fight was not released. Patterson and the other firefighter were both members of the Strother Volunteer Fire Department.

According to KOCO, Patterson was a retired narcotics officer who joined the department six years ago.

"Throughout the six years, he's made rank of a captain," Strother Fire Chief Nicholas Nadeau told KOCO. "He showed great leadership, great personality."

Patterson also served as the fire department's chaplain.

Click here to see the video

Comments
Peter Stanley Peter Stanley Friday, February 15, 2013 9:34:05 AM my heart and prayers goes out to the fire dept. and family.
Linda Dee Rooney-Card Linda Dee Rooney-Card Friday, February 15, 2013 9:34:39 AM This is so sad...prayers for all involved.
Brian R. Jones Brian R. Jones Friday, February 15, 2013 9:38:50 AM my prayers go out to his family and friends and his family at the firehouse.
Erica Lynn Erica Lynn Friday, February 15, 2013 9:41:29 AM so sad :(
Chris Young Chris Young Friday, February 15, 2013 9:42:39 AM Sending prayers to all involved.
Marvin Heuker Marvin Heuker Friday, February 15, 2013 9:45:35 AM Prayers to all involved, May God lay his comforting hand upon you all.
Justin Bathke Justin Bathke Friday, February 15, 2013 9:49:51 AM R.I.P. brother and thanx for your work with PD/FD.
John Peters John Peters Friday, February 15, 2013 9:50:07 AM aybeing a fire fighter is already dangerous enough and to lose a brotheran this way is ashame.my thoughts and prayers go out to all that was involved especially to the family of the man who passed.
Seth Matthews Seth Matthews Friday, February 15, 2013 9:53:48 AM I truly hope that this was a case of natural causes from the stress of the altercation and not something worse. either way, my heart goes out to a fellow FF. God Bless
Tracy Moore Tracy Moore Friday, February 15, 2013 9:53:51 AM my thoughts and prayers go out to the family.
Brock Bruce Brock Bruce Friday, February 15, 2013 9:55:20 AM WTH....
Jeff Masson Jr. Jeff Masson Jr. Friday, February 15, 2013 10:10:29 AM The other firefighter should be charged with manslaughter! Firefighters, like cops aren't above the law. If 2 civilians fought and one ended up dead you can be 100% certain someone's getting charged with something. RIP, to the fallen firefighter.
Angela Fernandez Angela Fernandez Friday, February 15, 2013 10:13:18 AM My thoughts and prayers go out to the family & his pup.. He will greatly be missed...
Alan D. Morgan Alan D. Morgan Friday, February 15, 2013 10:20:29 AM In my opinion it is a wonder this doesn't happen more EVERY day... I've seen some terrible bullying, teasing, chiding, etc. go way beyond what it should go in many firehouses through the years and it is a true wonder there aren't more fights, serious injuries, and homicides from it all too! If you complain then they label you the odd ball who can't get along with others... sad! I know one FF who hid the fact for years that he had gotten married because the guys on his shift would hold down the one getting married and paint their private parts with purple food coloring and this FF felt like that was truly sexual assualt and would never reveal he had gotten married in order to NOT have that done to him... that is just horrible to have to live with keeping your spouse a secret... don't you agree?
Seth Matthews Seth Matthews Friday, February 15, 2013 10:24:54 AM ok, I read on the news page he was"killed" but it doesn't say what happened, I'm curious now if this was a physical assault, or if this was a heart attack thing and the news company is doing some bad reporting. either way, its a terrible loss. and if it is exactly what the news says it is, and you are, hands down, at fault for another being harmed, brethren or not, you should be held accountable.
Kurtis Cook Kurtis Cook Friday, February 15, 2013 10:29:04 AM Sad outcome to a good ole fire station scrap. I hope justice is served accordingly. R.I.P. Brother
Dale French Dale French Friday, February 15, 2013 10:32:06 AM thank you brother for all your years service you are now a leadgond and will be missed freatly RIP LSFC#12.
Billy Hill Billy Hill Friday, February 15, 2013 10:36:54 AM what the heck is going on fighting not cool.
Jeff Milton Jeff Milton Friday, February 15, 2013 10:40:32 AM Does anyone know what happened or why the fight took place? Way to make assumptions asshat! Why don't you get the facts before running your mouth.
Chuckie Helms Chuckie Helms Friday, February 15, 2013 10:46:35 AM So many people's lives are changed forever, There are some things you just cant take back this is one of them, choose your words and action carefully you never know when they will be your last.
Dave Cook Dave Cook Friday, February 15, 2013 10:49:46 AM no you can't be 100% certain without knowing the facts. Who's to say they were actually fighting. Maybe the other guy was defending his life. WE DONT KNOW SHIT, we werent there. And anyone who for real works in ems/fire/police knows that the media has shit wrong all the time. so maybe before you start yelling for peoples heads, we just let the professionals figure it out.
Jeff Masson Jr. Jeff Masson Jr. Friday, February 15, 2013 10:54:17 AM My comment is based on what the article states. There was a fight, someone died, someone needs to be held accountable. It's as simple as that.
Jeff Masson Jr. Jeff Masson Jr. Friday, February 15, 2013 10:56:50 AM Jeff Milton I'm not making assumptions you nitwit! As I stated before my comment is based on the article. Maybe you should actually read the article before running your mouth.
Jeff Masson Jr. Jeff Masson Jr. Friday, February 15, 2013 10:59:16 AM Are you reading a different article then me? Because the headline itself says, "Fight between firefighters leaves one dead" There's not much to interpret.
Aspen Jacobson Aspen Jacobson Friday, February 15, 2013 11:00:27 AM I'm sorry, But I agree with Jeff.
Aspen Jacobson Aspen Jacobson Friday, February 15, 2013 11:02:01 AM And yall know damn well, that's exactly what the family of the fallen is going to want to do.
John Holstein John Holstein Friday, February 15, 2013 11:03:37 AM based on that article, either parties could be at fault, or both. the "assumption", as always in situations like this, is that the person that died was not the person to blame for the fight. for all we know, the person that lives was defending himself.
Aspen Jacobson Aspen Jacobson Friday, February 15, 2013 11:04:03 AM Rest In Peace Dale. You will greatly be missed.
Jeff Masson Jr. Jeff Masson Jr. Friday, February 15, 2013 11:04:15 AM Dave Cook There's plenty of info in the article alone to ascertain what happened. So yes I can be 100% sure that someone would get charged with something. You can't physical assault someone and expect to skate away free. You will be charged with assault, and if the person dies due to your actions you can expect to be charged with manslaughter.
Seth Matthews Seth Matthews Friday, February 15, 2013 11:05:22 AM one dead from an assault or one dead from a medical condition caused by the stress of the fight? the media has different ways of wording things, I'm not saying it didnt happen the exact way they said, I'm saying they need to be more specific.
Jeff Masson Jr. Jeff Masson Jr. Friday, February 15, 2013 11:09:36 AM John Holstein Your right, I didn't really look at it that way. I guess Dale Patterson to me just doesn't look like someone who would start a fight that took his life. My whole point is that if someone dies from being assaulted they should be charged with something and be held accountable. But your absolutely right assumptions are dangerous and I did assume so I'm definitely in the wrong for that.
Jeff Masson Jr. Jeff Masson Jr. Friday, February 15, 2013 11:10:32 AM Agreed!
Jeff Masson Jr. Jeff Masson Jr. Friday, February 15, 2013 11:11:39 AM Dave Cook Your right! I was wrong. Jeff same to you..
Luke Young Luke Young Friday, February 15, 2013 11:16:24 AM I personally have worked with Dale, trained with him and worked with the Strother FD. There is still nothing to report on the altercation. I ask that people please DO NOT speculate about the events that took place. I was in an Advanced Auto-X class about 5-6 months ago and had the privilege of meeting Mr. Patterson. He was a nice Christian man and seemed to have a big heart for helping people. Thoughts and prayers go out to his family, friends, brother FF's and the Strother FD. Rest in peace Dale Patterson. Thank you for your years of service.
Anthony Thompson Anthony Thompson Friday, February 15, 2013 11:45:36 AM You have no idea though, . . show some professionalism/respect and let the Police figure it out, . . there are too many possible variables, . . he could have slipped and hit his head AFTER the fight, . . . YOU just don't know, . . .
Cody Matthews Cody Matthews Friday, February 15, 2013 11:47:06 AM Well maybe you should reread the article again. Like say the LAST LINE where the department is also "Nadeau told KOCO that the department was mourning Patterson while trying to support the other firefighter involved in the fight." To me there is more to the story that you don't know about so why did you not read into this part. From your statement you only read part of the story and jumped on it. I am sure that even with any fight like this there may not be any charges right off the bat you see this in the news all the time, and later they come out with what happen and then if any charges are filed. As far as I can see you need to open your eyes and not Jump so fast. My prayers go out to both families for what has happen.
Randy Lewis Randy Lewis Friday, February 15, 2013 11:59:53 AM Jeff. I don't think any where in the article did it say he wasn't going to be charged!!!!
Tim Zuleger Tim Zuleger Friday, February 15, 2013 12:42:16 PM Yep and if you find the end of the Rainbow you will collect all the gold. Its true I saw it on the internet. Geeez JR wait till the facts are out . What a Putz!!!
Kurtis Cook Kurtis Cook Friday, February 15, 2013 1:09:58 PM Stop going with everything you hear from the media hype. obviously if were a clear cut case than their would have been an arrest already. The investigation will make the conclusion.
Storm Chaser Wagoner Storm Chaser Wagoner Friday, February 15, 2013 1:56:59 PM the other firefighter should be put behind bars.
Friday, February 15, 2013 4:32:24 PM Really? That's all the info we get? F-!
Storm Chaser Wagoner Storm Chaser Wagoner Friday, February 15, 2013 4:38:11 PM my fillings go out to the family members of the fallen firefighter that died.
Debra Baggett Debra Baggett Friday, February 15, 2013 4:40:50 PM So if I attack you, you defend yourself, and I die - You're saying I should be arrested? Nope, not necessarily. That is why there are little things like "investigations" and "grand juries." Life is rarely as "simple as that," bud.
Debra Baggett Debra Baggett Friday, February 15, 2013 4:42:41 PM Mis typed: So if I attack you, you defend yourself, and I die, You're saying YOU should be arrested, when, in fact, I started it and you were defending yourself?
Cindy Stotler Cindy Stotler Friday, February 15, 2013 5:04:01 PM Ok... Here's a thought. Verbal fight. led to a heart attach? what was the cause of death?
Josh Fritts Josh Fritts Friday, February 15, 2013 5:27:55 PM What do you mean by "for real works in ems/fire/police?"
William E. Bell William E. Bell Friday, February 15, 2013 5:51:54 PM Charges were not filed yet. That speaks volumes. But we don't know the details.
Sheila Hainsey Sheila Hainsey Friday, February 15, 2013 6:07:28 PM Strangly enough, it would be 'Natural Cause's' :/
Jon Whiskey Jon Whiskey Friday, February 15, 2013 7:53:20 PM Kick rocks Jeff, you based your IDIOTIC comment on what the article states? The article states almost nothing, and you're talking about someone needs to be charged with something?? You are a special kind of stupid aren't you?
Bill Hoeft Bill Hoeft Friday, February 15, 2013 7:53:57 PM Wow, Jeff Milton, you're a class act and a terrific representative of the fire service.
John Novak John Novak Friday, February 15, 2013 10:03:48 PM How about waiting for the details to come out before convicting this guy in the court of public opinion.
Tom Johnson Tom Johnson Saturday, February 16, 2013 2:19:30 AM @Jeff Cant say he should be "...charged with manslaughter!" until all the facts are presented...maybe the deceased started the fight, and then had a heart attack...
W Joseph Lacks W Joseph Lacks Saturday, February 16, 2013 4:28:36 AM not good for the firefighter community.
Larry Deets Sr. Larry Deets Sr. Saturday, February 16, 2013 4:29:32 AM Not good at all.
John Liebfred John Liebfred Saturday, February 16, 2013 4:41:42 AM I absolutely could not believe what I was reading when I saw that yesterday,..... And no arrests have been made?,....... Even in the 'House' if we disagree, we are still brothers.
Aaron Doughty Aaron Doughty Saturday, February 16, 2013 5:30:39 AM Where in this article does it say anyone was assaulted? "The nature of the fight has not been released" The man was 56 y/o. Who says it wasn't a heated verbal altercation that resulted in heart attack? Who says one wasn't defending himself? Why don't you let some details other than 'a fight resulted in death' before spewing your ignorance for everyone to see.
Saturday, February 16, 2013 11:01:06 AM Going to be interesting when the whole story comes out, there has got to be more to this than a simple fight.
Aaron Zink Aaron Zink Monday, February 18, 2013 2:22:09 PM Could have died from a heart attack due to the fight, never know, what's important here is that we pray and support our fallen brother, everyone involved, and all of their friends and families, just saying...
Stephanie Roberts Stephanie Roberts Monday, February 18, 2013 4:26:18 PM Rest in Peace Dale. My Condolences to his Family.
Adriana Brown Adriana Brown Thursday, January 23, 2014 9:55:22 AM Aspen add me on here like right now
Adriana Brown Adriana Brown Thursday, January 23, 2014 9:57:14 AM Add me aspen like right now

Fire Department Management