Firefighter aims to shoot cow, hits firefighter instead

Reports say that the two firefighters were responding to a report of an injured cow in a road when the accident happened

By EMS1 Staff

TALLADEGA COUNTY, Ala. — A firefighter attempting to shoot a charging cow accidentally shot a fellow firefighter.

The Daily Home reported that the two firefighters were responding to a report of an injured cow in a road Wednesday night when the accident happened.

When the animal became agitated and attempted to charge at one of the firefighters, the firefighter pulled a handgun and aimed a shot at the cow.

The injured firefighter was transported to the hospital with non life-threatening injuries.

Police said no charges will be filed.

Comments
Kelly Acker Kelly Acker Tuesday, February 19, 2013 11:14:31 AM Before you say boo hoo for the cow read this http://www.ketknbc.com/news/smith-county-deputy-attacked-by-injured-cow-dies.
Jason Jones Jason Jones Tuesday, February 19, 2013 11:17:25 AM need to spend some time at the range on your off day.
Alex Melia Alex Melia Tuesday, February 19, 2013 11:25:59 AM Firefighters are allowed to carry?
Everette Taylor Everette Taylor Tuesday, February 19, 2013 11:27:37 AM Only in Alabama! God I can't wait for the races this year. LOL I do hope the injured FF doesn't hold a grudge.
Wesley Reibert Wesley Reibert Tuesday, February 19, 2013 11:36:35 AM You had one job...
Shanyn Silinski Shanyn Silinski Tuesday, February 19, 2013 11:49:33 AM Okay wrong gun, wrong action and no plan or training. Which I do. Which I have been working on. Now will someone listen? Anyone?
Chet Carman Chet Carman Tuesday, February 19, 2013 12:51:16 PM It's Alabama, everyone is allowed to carry ... lol
Hunter Johnson Hunter Johnson Tuesday, February 19, 2013 1:33:33 PM Why would he not be allowed to carry? It's his right...
Tracy Hargrave Acker Tracy Hargrave Acker Tuesday, February 19, 2013 3:45:31 PM Poor cow!!!!!!!
Michael Kahlenberg Michael Kahlenberg Tuesday, February 19, 2013 5:56:05 PM He should have mooved.
Alexander Croci Alexander Croci Tuesday, February 19, 2013 6:47:17 PM This is how these MORONS deal with injured animals? ASININE! Just some trigger happy ASSHOLES looking for a reason to kill an innocent animal. Why not call a vet you idiots? In case you idiots don't know, there are professionals called veterinarians who treat animals for a living. Something you have no business doing. As I said, ASSHOLES!
Sean Fiske Sean Fiske Tuesday, February 19, 2013 7:06:17 PM Well Hunter I suppose because he can't shoot. I'm sure his partner is thrilled to support that guys 2a rights
Steve Kady Steve Kady Tuesday, February 19, 2013 7:31:26 PM No telling what the outcome would have been if he as using a bow and arow.
Brad Dunn Brad Dunn Tuesday, February 19, 2013 8:35:24 PM That was utterly too soon.
Doug French Doug French Tuesday, February 19, 2013 8:57:24 PM Strange how we perceive training... or the lack thereof. Granted big city firefighters may not ALL need training in livestock emergencies but some should have it so someone knows what to do. And rural should have all members including sheriffs trained in livestock emergencies. This should be a wake up call for departments to review protocols.
Tom Wojo Tom Wojo Tuesday, February 19, 2013 9:24:29 PM can someone explain why a firefighter is carrying a firearm on duty, yet alone, on a call Are firefighters allowed to be armed in Alabama, or was he in department violation?
Bobby Coble Bobby Coble Tuesday, February 19, 2013 10:06:53 PM So I take it, Alexander, you are an expert in dealing with injured and panicked livestock?
Alex Melia Alex Melia Tuesday, February 19, 2013 10:16:41 PM I'm just curious, do most places have SOPs about that? I'm about to look into mine...
Cliff Munson Cliff Munson Wednesday, February 20, 2013 6:42:26 AM I think I saw this in Me, Myself and Irene.
Lee B. Caterson Lee B. Caterson Wednesday, February 20, 2013 2:43:07 PM that comment is just plain bull
Rick Harter Rick Harter Friday, February 22, 2013 5:50:35 PM I'm a volunteer in a combination department, and while there might be a policy for the paid guys I doubt there are many volunteers who don't at least have one in their vehicle. Of course, here in southwest Georgia there are guns in over half the vehicles on the road. It's just part of rural life.
Dusty Crawford Dusty Crawford Friday, July 05, 2013 10:59:18 PM so why u disrespecting another fire fighter
Dusty Crawford Dusty Crawford Friday, July 05, 2013 11:02:43 PM it's not funny dude i'm out here in arizona fighting this fire and I see ur a fire fighter hmm do u want me to talk to my chief and get u in trouble
Dusty Crawford Dusty Crawford Friday, July 05, 2013 11:02:50 PM Bobbi Mclallen
Dusty Crawford Dusty Crawford Friday, July 05, 2013 11:07:55 PM i'm not i'm just wondering who u are so alright drop it

Fire-EMS