Firefighter hopes new invention will prevent LODDS

The strap has been incorporated into all of Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service's breathing apparatus

By Ruth Scammell
The News

SOUTHAMPTON, England — A Fareham firefighter who experienced the death of two colleagues while on duty has produced a life-saving invention to prevent a similar tragedy in the future.

Pete Broomfield was at Shirley Towers, Southampton, on April 6 2010 when St Mary's firefighters James Shears and Alan Bannon lost their lives tackling a fire in a ninth-floor flat.

Full story: Firefighter hopes new invention will prevent LODDS

Request product info from top Breathing Apparatus companies.
First:*Zip Code:*
Last:*Telephone:*
Department:*I recommend or purchase products for my Department:*
Department size:*Purchasing Timeframe:*
Email:*
*Required Field

Comments
Tom Kelly Tom Kelly Wednesday, October 17, 2012 1:35:20 PM WOW! This is the kinda thinking firefighters need to do. There are so many talented minds just waiting to make the world as we know it safer. Maybe this will be the spark needed.
Rusty SirWilliam Shaver Rusty SirWilliam Shaver Thursday, October 18, 2012 9:14:48 AM I agree good luck and market it in the USA.
Adam Jeske Adam Jeske Thursday, October 18, 2012 9:17:32 AM Firefighter Broomfield is a key example of the countless firefighters who have experienced this tragedy. I had always wondered about wiring as well when fellow colleagues entered a burning building here in the United States, and this invention surely would make a great addition for firefighters around the world. However, I feel a few more tests should be demonstrated to verify the stability of the strap and display in a video the differences of the strap versus no strap. This item could be the key element though, from what I've read here, to save the lives of many firefighters, volunteer and career!
Jared Clark Jared Clark Thursday, October 18, 2012 9:19:18 AM I would like to see how it works.
Travis Hofmann Travis Hofmann Thursday, October 18, 2012 9:21:13 AM Send me a few of these straps I'll test them out.
Dirk Janiak Dirk Janiak Thursday, October 18, 2012 9:55:42 AM Great idea! I'd like to see a picture or video of how those straps are working.
Adam Schwier Adam Schwier Thursday, October 18, 2012 10:31:08 AM Great idea... Ill take one..
Forester Sinclair Forester Sinclair Thursday, October 18, 2012 10:43:11 AM Lifesaving innovation deserving of the highest award. Let's see one of our overpaid, over worshipped, so called "professional" athletes contribute at this level. Thank you brother!
Mike Jernander Mike Jernander Thursday, October 18, 2012 10:55:18 AM We'd be stupid not too!
Richard Deldonna Richard Deldonna Thursday, October 18, 2012 11:11:33 AM Nice job Pete Broomfield. I'd love to give it a try here in the US of A..... Salute to you Sir!
Joshua Alan Reeves Joshua Alan Reeves Friday, October 19, 2012 6:25:02 AM Please get it patented so some asshole from the states doesn't steal you idea and make millions from it.
Michael Lewis Sullivan Michael Lewis Sullivan Friday, October 19, 2012 7:48:32 PM I would like to get one of these to test for myself. If it does the job for which it is made, then it should be presented to all the members of my fire station and all others around the country.
Greg Loftus Greg Loftus Saturday, October 20, 2012 6:39:30 PM well done