Physio-Control Launches Version 4.1 of Its LIFENETŪ System
First-To-Market Feature Allows Integration of Data from Multiple Vendors’ 12-lead Management Systems
REDMOND, WASH. – Physio-Control, Inc., a wholly-owned subsidiary of Medtronic, Inc., (NYSE: MDT), today announced the launch of Version 4.1 of its LIFENET System. LIFENET System 4.1 is a web-based platform designed to share emergent patient information between Emergency Medical Services (EMS) and hospital care teams. The latest release includes LIFENET Adapter, an interface between the LIFENET System and various manufacturers’ 12-lead management systems. Hospitals now have the ability to standardize the management of chest pain cases regardless of the monitoring equipment used by EMS in the field – improving both access to clinical information and operational efficiency.
The LIFENET System helps communities set up systems of care for patients experiencing ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction (STEMI), the type of heart attack that reduces or blocks circulation of blood to the heart and can result in death or serious disability for the patient. LIFENET is designed to link time-critical transmission and alerts of a potential STEMI patient’s 12-lead ECG data from EMS to the awaiting hospital care team. While the patient is in transit, the hospital staff can review the patient’s baseline ECG report and status updates, determine where to route the patient, and whether to activate a catheterization laboratory.
“The LIFENET System was developed with the same focus and commitment to quality and innovation found in all our lifesaving devices,” said Brian Webster, president of Physio-Control. “Our LIFENET System provides easy to use, reliable tools that help EMS and hospital care teams to accelerate their response, reduce time to treatment and potentially improve outcomes for their patients.”
Version 4.1 introduces five new innovative products, all developed in response to customer feedback. They include:
- LIFENET Adapter – Enables data from multiple 12-lead management systems to be routed through the LIFENET System, allowing hospitals to standardize on one system to receive patient data from the field.
- LIFENET Connect – Allows data to be sent automatically from LIFEPAK® monitor/defibrillators directly into CODE-STAT, Physio-Control’s post-event review software. LIFENET Connect sends this data via the internet while the LIFEPAK device is still in the ambulance, thereby providing increased operational efficiency.
- LIFENET Export – Enables data to be exported from the LIFENET® System into hospital information systems.
- LIFENET Archive – Permits storage of 12-lead ECG and vital sign reports on a local desktop computer.
- LIFENET Asset – Provides users with a web-based system to track LIFEPAK device inventory. LIFEPAK service and maintenance information is downloaded to and accessible from the LIFENET System, allowing EMS personnel to spend less time on administrative duties and focus more on saving lives.
LIFENET System 4.1 operates on a secure, web-based platform and through subscription service so hospitals need not make a capital investment to benefit from this new technology.
The American Heart Association (AHA) estimates that close to 400,000 people in the United States experience STEMI every year. Studies show that when Door-to-Balloon (D2B) time is 90 minutes or less, patient outcomes significantly improve, and hospital stays are shorter (Journal of the American College of Cardiology, 2009). The use of pre-hospital 12-lead ECGs plays a key part in reducing D2B times (JACC, 2009). A recent update to guidelines from the American College of Cardiology (ACC) and the AHA emphasize the need for developing STEMI systems of care to increase the number of patients with timely access to appropriate treatment for STEMI (ACC/AHA Guidelines for the Management of Patients with ST-Elevation Myocardial Infarction, 2009).
Physio-Control, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Medtronic, Inc., is located in Redmond, Wash. Physio-Control pioneered defibrillation technology over 55 years ago. The company is the world’s leading provider of external defibrillation and monitoring technology for the treatment of sudden cardiac arrest and other cardiorespiratory emergencies. To find out more about Physio-Control, go to www.physio-control.com or call 1-800-442-1142. To learn more about the LIFENET System, go to www.CheckOutTheFuture.com/LIFENET.
Medtronic, Inc. (www.medtronic.com), headquartered in Minneapolis, is the global leader in medical technology – alleviating pain, restoring health, and extending life for millions of people around the world.