Make this page my home page
  1. Drag the home icon in this panel and drop it onto the "house icon" in the tool bar for the browser

  2. Select "Yes" from the popup window and you're done!

Print Comment RSS

FDNY firefighter injured in blaze that kills 8-year-old boy

Investigators say a space heater was running too close to flammable materials

The Associated Press

NEW YORK — Authorities say a fire sparked by a space heater in a Brooklyn apartment on a freezing, snowy morning has killed an 8-year-old boy.

The Fire Department says a firefighter and another person were taken to hospitals with minor injuries after the blaze early Saturday. It was in a building in the city's Flatbush neighborhood.

Henry Barnes lives across the street. He tells The New York Times he was awakened by screams, went outside and saw two women standing in the street.

He says one was yelling: "Get my kids, get my kids."

The boy died at the scene of the fire. His name hasn't been released.

Firefighters determined the space heater was too close to some combustible items. It's not immediately clear what they were.

Associated PressCopyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

 




Comments
The comments below are member-generated and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of FireRescue1.com or its staff. If you cannot see comments, try disabling privacy and ad blocking plugins in your browser. All comments must comply with our Member Commenting Policy.

FireRescue1 Offers

Safety
Safety

Sponsored by

Connect with FireRescue1

Mobile Apps Facebook Twitter Google+

Get the #1 Fire eNewsletter

Fire Newsletter Sign up for our FREE email roundup of the top news, tips, columns, videos and more, sent 3 times weekly
Enter Email
See Sample