VILLANOVA, Pa. — Officials say they still don't know what sickened people at a Villanova University chemistry lab, prompting evacuation of the building and sending 29 people to the hospital.
Officials at the private Catholic school in suburban Philadelphia say one student became ill and left during an experiment at about 2:30 p.m. Tuesday at the Mendel Science Center. Other students then reported feeling ill, prompting the evacuation and decontamination procedures. The building reopened Wednesday.
Radnor Fire Chief Dan Kincade told The Philadelphia Inquirer that the student who initially fell ill has asthma and could have had a reaction to a vapor released during the experiment. He said hazmat crews found no vapors in the lab, but the building's ventilation system would have cleared the air by the time they arrived.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
The comments below are member-generated and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of FireRescue1.com or its staff. If you cannot see comments, try disabling privacy and ad blocking plugins in your browser. All comments must comply with our Member Commenting Policy.
Rudy Caparros Sr.Wednesday, January 29, 2014 12:11:55 PM
TOXIC TRAIN WAR - THE CHLORINE INSTITUTE (a trade association of chlorine producers) claims that its “C” Kit, a repair kit for chlorine rail tank cars, is safe to use. Hazmat experts say The Chlorine Institute “C”-Kit is extremely hazardous and its use must be discontinued. Learn the truth, See--PETITION C KIT for First Responders Comments.