Tortoises' heating pad sets garage ablaze in Calif.
Firefighter treated, released for heat exhaustion
By Ellen Huet
San Francisco Chronical
SAN FRANCISCO — An Alameda County Fire Department firefighter was treated for minor injuries suffered in battling a garage fire Tuesday in Castro Valley that was sparked by a malfunctioning heating pad for a pair of tortoises, officials said.
The fire began in a detached garage on the 17400 block of Almond Road around 3 a.m., said Battalion Chief Dan O'Hara of the Alameda County Fire Department.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Recommended Heat Exhaustion
Join the discussion
The comments below are member-generated and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of FireRescue1.com or its staff. If you cannot see comments, try disabling privacy and ad blocking plugins in your browser. All comments must comply with our Member Commenting Policy.