By Tina Sfondeles
CHICAGO — A mother and daughter were rescued from a second-story window in an extra-alarm fire at which three Chicago firefighters were injured Saturday morning in Little Village.
Firefighters arrived to find flames throughout the three-flat. They used ladders to rescue the mother and daughter from a second-floor window in the rear of the building in the 4300 block of West 25th Place, Fire Department Spokesman Joe Roccasalva said.
The mother and child suffered smoke inhalation and were taken to Mount Sinai Hospital.
The woman was in fair to serious condition and her daughter was listed in serious to critical condition, Roccasalva said.
An elderly resident also was hospitalized. The fire displaced 25 people.
One firefighter suffered a cut on his face when something fell on him as he fought the fire; one hurt his leg when a stairwell collapsed, and another suffered fatigue.
All three firefighters were all listed in good condition at area hospitals, Roccasalva said.
It took more than two hours to extinguish the fire. High winds caused the fire to spread to a building to the north, which suffered some exterior damage, Roccasalva said. He said an outdoor cooking device powered by propane is thought to have caused the fire, according to the Office of Fire Investigations. Copyright 2011 Sun-Times Media, LLC