By Amanda Ferguson
NORTHERN IRELAND —A man had to be rescued from an industrial washing machine at Craigavon Area Hospital after he got tangled up in a load of laundry.
Five fire appliances, from Portadown and Lurgan, were tasked to the incident on December 10 and the washing machine had to be taken apart to remove the 51-year-old worker.
A spokesman for the Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service said firefighters responded to a call after the man got caught up in laundry which was being fed into a large washing machine.
The spokesman added: "On arrival, crews found the man heavily trapped by his legs.
"NIFRS personnel dismantled the machine to effect his release.
"Fortunately he sustained no major injuries."
A spokesman for the Southern Health and Social Care Trust said: "The health and safety of clients, patients and staff is a priority for the trust.
"We can confirm there was an incident in the laundry at Craigavon Area Hospital on Monday.
"Staff initiated all necessary protocols and the Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service were called as a precaution.
"The person involved was brought to the emergency department but did not require treatment.
"While safety measures were in place, we are reviewing machinery and procedures in the laundry to minimise future risk." Copyright 2012 MGN Ltd.
All Rights Reserved