Make this page my home page
  1. Drag the home icon in this panel and drop it onto the "house icon" in the tool bar for the browser

  2. Select "Yes" from the popup window and you're done!

Print Comment RSS

Firefighters rescue man pinned in junk-filled home

11 firefighters had to chainsaw through garbage to reach the man

The Associated Press

BURNABY, Canada — A Canadian man in his 70s was severely dehydrated after being pinned for several days under debris in his home that had piled up almost to the ceiling.

The Royal Canadian Mounted Police said Tuesday a man called to report that he had not seen his friend in several days.

Police found the doorway and halls of the suburban Vancouver home so choked with junk that the fire department was called to clear a path inside.

Eleven firefighters had to break down the door and chainsaw through garbage to reach the man. Police said there was no heat and electricity, and the man was severely dehydrated.

"Had it been another day or two, with our cold temperatures, the outcome may have not been as good as it was," Assistant Fire Chief Greg Mervin said.

The incident required more emergency workers than for a typical rescue, he said, adding city bylaw officers have been previously called to the same home for complaints from neighbors about the junk piling up on the outside of his property.

The fire department comes across dangerous hoarding situations about a few times a year, he said.

"I wouldn't say it's a regular occurrence," he said. "There's probably a few more people out there that we don't know about. Until something happens, it's not discovered."

Associated PressCopyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

The man is recovering in hospital and being treated for possible circulation problems in both legs.




Comments
The comments below are member-generated and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of FireRescue1.com or its staff. If you cannot see comments, try disabling privacy and ad blocking plugins in your browser. All comments must comply with our Member Commenting Policy.
Viola Crouch Viola Crouch Friday, January 18, 2013 9:17:10 AM Pathetic! NO excuse for a home to be like this! If nothing else it's a firehazard. I'm sure it stinks and has all kinds of creepy crawly things.
Annie Parenteau Annie Parenteau Friday, January 18, 2013 9:57:09 AM Hoarding is a mental problem, not an excuse but a reason. It is treatable with help.
Ryan Pennington Ryan Pennington Friday, January 18, 2013 10:25:37 AM Compulsive Hoarding is a Neurological Disorder. These folks don't choose to hoard! This is a GROWING problem to first responders worldwide! We are facing these dangers more often! Ems runs Mask up, ammonia, fecal matter, hanta virus! If it is on fire, Identify, adjust and attack! #heavycontent fires are not normal structural fires... They require tactical changes!
Jodi Pco Jodi Pco Friday, January 18, 2013 10:27:40 AM You have to ask where the family is in this case. I wonder who called them knew about this.
Fredric L. Rice Fredric L. Rice Friday, January 18, 2013 10:29:12 AM You can see one of the photographs of the materials being stored at. http://www.skeptictank.org/trash.jpg The materials appear to be an artifact of hoarding but there is a great deal of actual trash also involved. The granular nature of the materials afforded access to oxygen however the plastic bagging looks significantly dangerous.
Katherine Forgaard-Pullen Katherine Forgaard-Pullen Friday, January 18, 2013 4:45:02 PM This could just as easily been in Lindsay, Ontario.
Chajka C Kevin Chajka C Kevin Sunday, January 20, 2013 3:44:33 AM holy sh## talk about fire load.

FireRescue1 Offers

Rescue
Rescue

Sponsored by

Connect with FireRescue1

Mobile Apps Facebook Twitter Google+

Get the #1 Fire eNewsletter

Fire Newsletter Sign up for our FREE email roundup of the top news, tips, columns, videos and more, sent 3 times weekly
Enter Email
See Sample