Faulty wiring caused fire at Philly warehouse
Permanent wiring at the back of an auto shop on site started the blaze
The Associated Press
PHILADELPHIA — Faulty wiring is being blamed for a fire at a Philadelphia warehouse where a string band stores its props for the city's annual Mardi Gras-like New Year's Day parade.
Fire department Commissioner Lloyd Ayers says Monday's blaze at the south Philadelphia warehouse was caused by permanent wiring and originated near the back of an auto shop at the site. One person was hospitalized.
Members of the Fralinger String Band said Tuesday they found their props wet but undamaged. Fralinger is one of many clubs that participate in the Mummers Parade each Jan. 1. The band says it will definitely still participate in this year's parade.
The parade features thousands of performers wearing elaborate costumes and often is described as Philadelphia's Mardi Gras.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Fire Attack
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
The comments below are member-generated and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of FireRescue1.com or its staff. If you cannot see comments, try disabling privacy and ad blocking plugins in your browser. All comments must comply with our Member Commenting Policy.