logo for print

LODD: Firefighter dies after fighting large auto shop fire

Firefighter Scott Compton died of a heart attack after returning home from the fire

Duty Death: Scott Compton - [Greenfield, Indiana]

The Indy Channel

GREENFIELD, Ind. — A firefighter has died after fighting a large auto shop fire that spread to a nearby shopping plaza in Greenfield Friday.

The Greenfield Fire Territory announced Saturday evening the death of firefighter Scott Compton. 

Scott Compton died of a heart attack after returning from fighting a large auto shop blaze. (Photo/Hamilton County Professional Fire Fighters)
Scott Compton died of a heart attack after returning from fighting a large auto shop blaze. (Photo/Hamilton County Professional Fire Fighters)

Compton was one of the many firefighters who responded to Mueller Auto Body and Glass on U.S. 40 in Greenfield around 5 p.m. Friday for a large fire that could be seen from miles away. The fire spread to stores in the adjacent Riley Park Plaza.

It took firefighters several hours to put out all of the flames and hot spots.

According to the Greenfield Daily Reporter, Compton, 55, died of a heart attack in the hours that followed the firefight. 

Fire Chief Jim Roberts said Compton would have returned home between 12:30 a.m. and 1 a.m. He was discovered by paramedics Saturday afternoon.

"He loved serving his community and his department loved being part of the brotherhood of firefighters," Roberts said. 'Tremendous guy, hard worker, eager to do whatever needs to be done."

Because Compton's death occurred within 48 hours of fighting a fire, it's considered a line-of-duty death.

Blake then crashed into a third firefighter's vehicle before stopping, police say. 

Murphy, 27, was pronounced dead at the scene by the Daviess County Coroner, according to the news release. 

On social media, saddened friends remembered Murphy as a man of strong faith who helped local youth while coaching basketball.

The communities of Montgomery and Cannelburg are small, said ISP Sgt. Philip Hensley, where everybody knows each other. 

"This is going to have a tremendous impact on these folks," Hensley told IndyStar. "Our hearts certainly go out to the families involved." 

Blake was not injured, police say. He had been driving with a blood alcohol level of 0.21 percent. The legal limit is 0.08. 

Investigators interviewed Blake, but Hensley declined to release the details of that conversation because it's an open investigation.

Blake faces preliminary charges of reckless driving and operating while intoxicated causing death, according to the news release. He's being held in a Daviess County jail. 

The firefighters responded to the first crash alongside Daviess County Sheriff's Department deputies because the driver was reportedly trapped in a vehicle.

That driver also was arrested on a preliminary charge of drunken driving, Hensley said. 

Republished with permission from The Indy Channel.


Join the discussion


National Fallen Firefighters Foundation

Support the National Fallen Firefighters Foundation and help to honor America's fallen firefighters

donate now

Copyright © 2017 FireRescue1.com. All rights reserved.