Video: Firefighter, 12-year-old boy bond over prosthetic legs
Logan Carson and firefighter Mase Mattingly both have below-the-knee amputations
By FireRescue1 Staff
PHOENIX — A 12-year-old boy and firefighter have bonded over a similar experience.
KTAR reported that Logan Carson had strep throat five years ago, which sent him into septic shock. He spent six months in the hospital and lost his right lower leg, a couple of fingers, his right eye and had skin grafting all over his body. He also suffered kidney failure and received a transplant two years ago.
Gilbert Fire and Rescue firefighter Mase Mattingly broke his ankle 11 weeks into his 12-week academy.
"I rehabbed it the best I could and lived with it for five years," Mattingly said. "In 2010, the pain was so bad that I elected to cut it off."
The two met during water safety day at Carson's school in 2013. Mattingly invited Carson to the station and showed him what he could do with his prosthetic.
"I'd say he's awesome, nice and kind," Carson said of Mattingly.
Carson's mom said it was "great for Logan to have a mentor who is also a below-the-knee amputee so he can see the things he can do, and the things he can do for others as well."
#GilbertKindness: Mase and Logan
#GilbertKindness Story: Meet Mase and Logan. Mase is a firefighter with Gilbert Fire and Rescue and Logan is a 12-year-old boy who loves Star Wars and Iron Man. While the two differ in age, they share a special bond because of one similar life experience. Watch to find out how acts of kindness changed both of their lives.Posted by Gilbert Town Hall on Tuesday, May 9, 2017