Iowa fire department honors its vintage firefighters
90-year-old relives his exciting first day on the job in 1943
By Peggy Senzarino
MASON CITY, Iowa — On Feb. 1, 1943, Walt Berry joined the Mason City Fire Department.
Seventy years later, Berry, 95, Mason City, was honored Friday with a reception and luncheon at the fire station.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
- Fire Suppression
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
The comments below are member-generated and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of FireRescue1.com or its staff. If you cannot see comments, try disabling privacy and ad blocking plugins in your browser. All comments must comply with our Member Commenting Policy.
FireRescue1 top 5
- Official: FDNY firefighter may have been jolted from bucket
- Man runs back into burning building for 2 cans of beer
- NJ fire dept.'s apparatus fleet 'in dire need of replacing'
- Video: Volunteer firefighter-EMT rescues girl who fell out of bus
- More than 200 firefighters battle massive 5-alarm building blaze