Fire dept. confirms paramedic faked story of Boston Marathon bombing response

The St. Louis Fire Department sent FOX25 a letter Tuesday confirming Shawn Daniel lied and did not respond to the bombing


By FireRescue1 Staff

ST. LOUIS — A second fire department has confirmed that a paramedic lied about his involvement during the Boston Marathon bombings after a local news station launched an investigation last month. 

FOX25 first reported on St. Louis paramedic Shawn Daniel’s claims that he responded to the 2013 bombings last month. Daniel showed supervisors an alleged photo of him taking aiding a victim. However, the Boston Fire Department told the news station the responder in the photo is a Boston firefighter. 

In this April 15, 2013, file photo, medical workers aid injured people following an explosion at the finish line of the 2013 Boston Marathon in Boston. (AP Photo/Charles Krupa, File)
In this April 15, 2013, file photo, medical workers aid injured people following an explosion at the finish line of the 2013 Boston Marathon in Boston. (AP Photo/Charles Krupa, File)

The St. Louis Fire Department sent FOX25 a letter Tuesday confirming that Daniel lied and did not respond to the bombings. 

The department released a statement in which Daniel “apologizes for providing false information, and for bringing undue press and bad publicity onto the department.”

Daniel is on “personal leave” from the department. Capt. Garon Mosby told the news station the department is conducting “internal personnel proceedings.” 

Recommended for you

Join the discussion

Copyright © 2019 FireRescue1.com. All rights reserved.