Mayday: 2 Conn. firefighters hospitalized with carbon monoxide poisoning
A mayday was called when the firefighters became disoriented, fell to the ground and had to be rescued from the building
By FireRescue1 Staff
WOODBRIDGE, Conn. — Two firefighters were hospitalized for carbon monoxide poisoning after battling a six-alarm fire at a Jewish Community Center Monday night.
“When the fire came in, there were roughly two to three hundred people inside the building, so our number one concern was to make sure everyone got out safely,” Woodbridge Fire Chief Sean Rowland.
A mayday was called when the firefighters became disoriented, fell to the ground and had to be rescued from the building, reported WTNH.
“We were down there doing overhaul, and one of them collapsed,” Chief Rowland said. “We have him down at the hospital right now being checked out, but he is stable.”
One firefighter was released later Monday night, and the second firefighter is undergoing hyperbaric oxygen therapy, reported FOX61. The treatment enhances the body’s healing process by inhaling more oxygen in a closed chamber, where atmospheric pressure is elevated and controlled.
There were no other injuries. Multiple fire departments responded to the fire.
The fire remains under investigation.
People who have an urgent need to access the JCC to retrieve Keys, wallets, or medication will have access to the... https://t.co/6fs7gixIzL— JCC of GNH (@jcc_gnh) December 6, 2016