logo for print

6 Neb. firefighters treated for CO poisoning after medical call

The firefighters and a police officer were taken to the hospital after their carbon monoxide monitor alarm went off


By FireRescue1 Staff

GRAND ISLAND, Neb. — Six firefighters and a police officer suffered carbon monoxide poisoning while responding to a medical call Tuesday. 

Responders arrived at a home to treat a man and woman who were unresponsive, reported the Omaha World-Herald. The man was not breathing and was pronounced dead at the hospital. 

Firefighters and a police officer went to the hospital after their carbon monoxide monitor alarm went off. Blood and urine samples were taken from the responders at the hospital; some complained of headaches. Oxygen was administered to the responders after it was concluded they had high levels of carbon monoxide. 

They were later released from the hospital. 

“As far as I’m aware, everyone’s doing well today,” Grand Island Fire Chief Cory Schmidt said. ‘We let them off-duty last night as a precaution.”

Recommended for you

Join the discussion

Copyright © 2017 FireRescue1.com. All rights reserved.