34 college students treated for carbon monoxide exposure
Fire officials said a boiler in the basement was leaking; the leak filled the dorm's five floors with high levels of CO2
COLUMBUS, Miss. — The Mississippi University for Women says it's continuing tests in a dormitory after 34 students were treated for inhaling carbon monoxide.
University spokeswoman Anika Perkins said Tuesday evening all the students have been released from Baptist Memorial Hospital-Golden Triangle in Columbus. She says that as of Tuesday afternoon, no carbon monoxide was detected in Kincannon Hall, but says testing will continue Wednesday. Perkins says students are being housed in hotels Tuesday night, but the dorm might reopen Wednesday.
Kincannon Hall was evacuated early Tuesday after students smelled natural gas.
Columbus Fire and Rescue spokesman Anthony Colom says a boiler in the basement was leaking. He says the leak filled the dorm's five floors with high levels of carbon monoxide.
Kincannon Hall houses freshmen at the 2,800-student university.
#TonightAtTen Carbon monoxide leaks in a MUW dorm, plus the race is on for Oktibbeha County's new chancery and circuit clerks, and how area food pantries are giving back. #wcbinews // https://t.co/cS6LVOYt48 pic.twitter.com/loscVfGhDV— WCBI News (@WCBINEWS) November 29, 2017