Families of fallen firefighters receive scholarships
“These recipients have overcome tremendous loss to achieve exceptional personal and academic success,” ICMA-RC President and CEO, Bob Schultze said
WASHINGTON — The ICMA-RC Public Employee Memorial Scholarship (ICMA-RC Memorial Scholarship) Fund Board of Directors presented scholarships for the 2017-2018 academic year to 35 recipients.
ICMA-RC Memorial Scholarships are presented annually to surviving children and spouses of firefighters, police officers, and other public employees who have died in the line of duty.
“These recipients have overcome tremendous loss to achieve exceptional personal and academic success,” said ICMA-RC President and CEO, Bob Schultze. “We are happy that we are in the position to provide scholarships that help so many students achieve their dream of continuing their education beyond high school.”
Individuals are eligible to apply for the ICMA-RC Memorial Scholarship if they are the child or spouse of a local or state government employee who has died in the line of duty and planning to study full-time at an accredited two- or four-year college or university, or vocational-technical school. Applicants are selected based on factors such as financial need, academic record, demonstrated leadership in school and community activities, honors, and work experience.
This year's recipients are listed below:
- Margaret G. Baik, Bridgeport (CT) Fire Department, Iona College
- Devin D. Bryant, Layton City (UT) Fire Department, Utah Valley University
- Jonathan M. DeWolf, Newington (NH) Fire Department, University of New Hampshire
- Kelly A. DeWolf, Newington (NH) Fire Department, University of South Florida
- Lindsay R. DeWolf, Newington (NH) Fire Department, University of South Florida
- Kayla J. Ford, Fire Department of New York 25, Touro College
- Dillon C. Mickel, Osceola (FL) Fire Rescue, University of Florida
- Danielle Nichols, Des Moines (IA) Fire Department, Buenva Vista Universtiy
- Jennifer Nichols, Des Moines (IA) Fire Department, Ellsworth Community College
- Katherine Nichols, Des Moines (IA ) Fire Department, Baylor University
- Jennifer R. Pepple, Natrona County (WY) Fire District, Arizona State University
- Kristen E. Pontius, Freeport (IL) Fire Department, University of Wisconsin
- Matthew M.B. Proost, Los Angeles City (CA) Fire Department, Point Loma Nazarene University
- Donna J. Reed, West Manatee (FL) Fire Rescue, State College of Florida
- Michael H. Reisman, NY Fire Department of New York, University of Chicago
- Kayla A. Ryan, NY Fire Department of New York, Marymount Manhatten College
- Janet B. Santner, North Bay (FL) Fire Department, Northwest Florida State College
- Tessa L. Santner, North Bay (FL) Fire Department, University of Florida
- Kateland Simmons, Eastland (TX) Volunteer Fire Department, University of Ottawa, Canada
- Karley Simmons, Eastland (TX) Volunteer Fire Department, University of North Texas
- Katie R. Wiebicke, NY Fire Department of New York, State University of New York
ICMA-RC and its Board of Directors established the Fund in 2001. Since its inception, the Fund has raised over $1 million and awarded scholarships to more than 300 students across the nation. To learn more about the ICMA-RC Memorial Scholarship and the 2017/2018 recipients, visit www.icmarc.org/scholarship.