Using the radio strap
By Mark van der Feyst
Many firefighters use a radio strap to carry their portable radios. The radio strap is a very good aid because it moves the radio from the chest area and relocates the radio to the hip area. When the radio is in the chest pocket, it sometimes reduces the firefighter's mobility.
By wearing the radio strap on the outside of your gear, you can use it to carry other items that are needed from time to time. The radio strap has two leather loops. One loop is used for the microphone, freeing up the other a small flashlight or a utility knife for quick access for survival purposes.
Join the discussion
The comments below are member-generated and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of FireRescue1.com or its staff. If you cannot see comments, try disabling privacy and ad blocking plugins in your browser. All comments must comply with our Member Commenting Policy.
FireRescue1 top 5
- Official: FDNY firefighter may have been jolted from bucket
- Man runs back into burning building for 2 cans of beer
- NJ fire dept.'s apparatus fleet 'in dire need of replacing'
- Video: Volunteer firefighter-EMT rescues girl who fell out of bus
- More than 200 firefighters battle massive 5-alarm building blaze