Firefighter’s family living at station after home is destroyed by blaze

After Jason Penwell responded to a call about his own home, the Tabernacle Fire Department is helping out his family while they get back on their feet

By FireRescue1 Staff

TABERNACLE, N.J.  — A firefighter who responded to a call about his own home burning is now getting much-needed help from the fire department.

ABC6 reported that Tabernacle Fire Department volunteer firefighter Jason Penwell and his family are temporarily staying at Fire Co. No. 1, where he works, until they can find a home.

Jason Penwell said he responded to the call without knowing it was his own home, and his son, Trevor, had already been inside the home four times to rescue the family pets. (Photo/GoFundMe)
Jason Penwell said he responded to the call without knowing it was his own home, and his son, Trevor, had already been inside the home four times to rescue the family pets. (Photo/GoFundMe)

"In the big scheme of things, it's a house, a place where we sleep," Penwell said. "But my kids are OK, my wife is OK."

"I brought them back here before the fire was even over," Chief Dave Smith said. "Just to get his kids and him out of there. They didn't need to watch anymore."

Penwell said he responded to the call about the fire without knowing it was his own home, and his son, Trevor, who had just been dropped off by a school bus, had already been inside the home four times to rescue the family pets.

"It was tough, but I thank God nothing happened to him," Penwell said.

The family lost everything in the fire, but Penwell’s wife, Stephanie, said they’ve received so many donations she doesn’t even know where to begin.

"It's been amazing," she said. "We have clothes for pretty much all of our members of our family."

A local firefighter from a neighboring dept dropped this off today. This use to hang at my house. He saved this from the house as the house was burning and brought it back to me. THANK YOU!!!! Yes I cried.

Posted by Jason Penwell on Friday, January 5, 2018

Recommended for you

Join the discussion

Copyright © 2018 FireRescue1.com. All rights reserved.