2 NH firefighters hospitalized after exposure to gas fumes

Firefighters were unaware of the gas when entering the room and were briefly overcome by the fumes


By FireRescue1 Staff

MANCHESTER, N.H. — Two firefighters were hospitalized after being exposed to hazardous chemicals during a gas leak Tuesday night. 

A false fire alarm at a wastewater treatment plant resulted in an excess of gas into an electrical room, reported the New Hampshire Union Leader. The gas is meant to block oxygen in the electrical room in the event of an actual fire. 

Firefighters were unaware of the gas when entering the room and were briefly overcome by the fumes. 

“They were hosed down at the scene, taken to the hospital as a precaution and were being released,” Manchester Fire Chief Daniel Goonan said. “This one has a very happy ending.”

Recommended for you

Join the discussion

Copyright © 2019 FireRescue1.com. All rights reserved.