Man found dead by FDNY in home day after blaze

Seven other residents had escaped the house the day of the fire, but showed up at the police precinct to report that a family member was missing


By Noah Goldberg and Rich Schapiro
New York Daily News

QUEENS, N.Y. — A 39-year-old man was found dead in the attic of a Queens home a full day after a fast-moving blaze ravaged the building, authorities said Saturday.

A partial stairwell collapse had prevented FDNY personnel from accessing the top-floor dwelling after they extinguished the inferno at the three-story building on Case St. in Corona early Friday, authorities said.

Firefighters plucked one man from the burning building shortly after 5:10 a.m. Some seven other residents escaped before the fire engulfed the home.

But relatives showed up at the local police precinct at 4:30 p.m. Saturday to report that a family member who lived in the building was missing, sources said.

Fire officials and police returned to the charred home and found the man in the attic, cops said. Paramedics rushed to the house, which was divided into several rooms, but he was long gone.

The victim, identified by a family friend as Golam Sarwar, died of fire-related injuries, authorities said.

"Due to the structural instability and the collapsed stairwell, our access to the third floor had been restricted," said FDNY spokesman Jim Long.

Sarwar, a full-time student, arrived in the U.S. from Bangladesh about three years ago, said friend Zainul Abedin.

The man who was pulled from the blaze alive suffered serious burns. He was rushed to Elmhurst Hospital with critical injuries and later transferred to Jacobi Medical Center but his condition was not known.

Fire marshals ruled the blaze was accidental, ignited by faulty electrical wiring. The firefighters who responded to the blaze had fought another fire a few hours earlier, plucking two 7-year-old cousins from a burning home in Jackson Heights.

Copyright 2018 New York Daily News

McClatchy-Tribune News Service

Recommended for you

Join the discussion

Copyright © 2018 FireRescue1.com. All rights reserved.