Firefighters respond to Calif. McDonald's explosion

The blast sparked a fire that took about an hour to control


The Associated Press

ENCINITAS, Calif. — A natural gas explosion and fire has badly damaged a McDonald's restaurant in San Diego County, but customers and employees escaped before the blast.

The San Diego Union-Tribune says the explosion at about 8:30 p.m. Thursday caved in the roof of the restaurant in Encinitas, Calif. Damage was put at $500,000 to $700,000.

Encinitas Fire Marshal Robert Scott says kitchen workers smelled natural gas and told customers to leave. Four customers and at least four employees got out safely.

The blast sparked a fire that took about an hour to control. A neighboring optometry business had smoke damage.

Associated PressCopyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Recommended for you

Join the discussion

logo for print