Video: 'Thugs' ambush, attack firefighters
The youths lured firefighters to them by setting garbage cans alight and then attacking them with bricks once they arrived
By Dean Wilkins
ROCHDALE, England — Crews from Heywood Fire Station, Rochdale, were despatched on one of the busiest nights of the year to two wheelie bin fires on Deeplish Road at around 5.08pm yesterday.
The bins had been ignited by thugs who waited for the firefighters – after they extinguished the blaze, the team saw the group of hooded youths waiting for them and decided to reverse down the road rather than drive towards them.
But as their engine backed up, the group pounced on them and threw bricks at the window – one violent yob comes just yards away from the vehicle and launches a missile at it, smashing the windscreen and rendering it useless for the night.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
The comments below are member-generated and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of FireRescue1.com or its staff. If you cannot see comments, try disabling privacy and ad blocking plugins in your browser. All comments must comply with our Member Commenting Policy.
FireRescue1 top 5
- Official: FDNY firefighter may have been jolted from bucket
- NJ fire dept.'s apparatus fleet 'in dire need of replacing'
- Video: Volunteer firefighter-EMT rescues girl who fell out of bus
- Off-duty firefighter hospitalized after being shot multiple times
- More than 200 firefighters battle massive 5-alarm building blaze