Vodka, sunlight sparks store fire
Sunlight intensified by vodka bottles sparked a fire inside a liquor store
By Maury Glover
My Fox 9
BURNSVILLE, Minn. — Burnsville fire officials say they've never heard of so-called firewater could become a fire starter without the aid of a match or spark, but that's exactly what happened when vodka bottles magnified sunlight and started a fire inside Red Lion Liquors.
The store has been in Burnsville since 1978, and it's occupied its current building for the past nine years. They have bulletproof glass to stop burglars and vandals from breaking in, but that couldn't' protect them from a problem that started inside.
"It's the unexpected things that can kind of sucker punch you," said manager Dave Hautman.
- Weird News
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
The comments below are member-generated and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of FireRescue1.com or its staff. If you cannot see comments, try disabling privacy and ad blocking plugins in your browser. All comments must comply with our Member Commenting Policy.