Video: Giant crane catches fire atop university
Firefighters were unable to battle the blaze as it was over 200 feet high
SYDNEY, Australia — This is the terrifying moment a giant crane collapsed on top of a university building after a huge blaze engulfed the driver's cabin.
Firefighters in Sydney, Australia were left powerless to help as the fire broke out some 65 metres in the air meaning it was simply too high to reach.
Hundreds of students had to be evacuated from the city's University of Technology as the crane's huge boom swayed dangerously above their heads.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
The comments below are member-generated and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of FireRescue1.com or its staff. If you cannot see comments, try disabling privacy and ad blocking plugins in your browser. All comments must comply with our Member Commenting Policy.
FireRescue1 top 5
- Official: FDNY firefighter may have been jolted from bucket
- Man runs back into burning building for 2 cans of beer
- NJ fire dept.'s apparatus fleet 'in dire need of replacing'
- Video: Volunteer firefighter-EMT rescues girl who fell out of bus
- More than 200 firefighters battle massive 5-alarm building blaze