Heroic pitbull saves family from fire
The pitbull alerted the sleeping family to their home burning
WELLSTON, Okla. — A 10-year-old pit bull terrier is being hailed a hero after she saved a Lincoln County family from their burning home. Early Tuesday, smoke and flames filled the family's home near Wellston. Rhonda Westenberger said she and her sister, Evelyn, were asleep, unaware of the danger, until their pit bull, named Baby, sprang to action. The women said the dog would not stop barking and pouncing on them until the women woke up and when they did, they had just seconds to escape.
"There were flames shooting down the hallway," said Westenberger. "If Baby hadn't woken Evelyn up, I don't think either one of us would have come out of it."
The women escaped, but their other five dogs were scared and stuck inside, so once again, Baby came to the rescue.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
The comments below are member-generated and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of FireRescue1.com or its staff. If you cannot see comments, try disabling privacy and ad blocking plugins in your browser. All comments must comply with our Member Commenting Policy.
FireRescue1 top 5
- Official: FDNY firefighter may have been jolted from bucket
- Man runs back into burning building for 2 cans of beer
- NJ fire dept.'s apparatus fleet 'in dire need of replacing'
- Video: Volunteer firefighter-EMT rescues girl who fell out of bus
- More than 200 firefighters battle massive 5-alarm building blaze