Fla. teacher fired after putting classroom fire out
School officials say they fired her for leaving her classroom
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. — Michelle Hammack was fired Wednesday from her teaching job at the Little Temples Childcare facility in Arlington.
It all started when Hammack smelled burning chicken nuggets from her nearby classroom. "I just leaned over and peeked around and there was a fire in the oven, and I ran in there and opened it to try to put it out, and the fire alarm started going off."
Hammack says she rushed back to her classroom and woke up her napping students. She then took all of the children outside.
Full story: Teacher fired after putting fire out
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
The comments below are member-generated and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of FireRescue1.com or its staff. If you cannot see comments, try disabling privacy and ad blocking plugins in your browser. All comments must comply with our Member Commenting Policy.
FireRescue1 top 5
- Official: FDNY firefighter may have been jolted from bucket
- Man runs back into burning building for 2 cans of beer
- NJ fire dept.'s apparatus fleet 'in dire need of replacing'
- Video: Volunteer firefighter-EMT rescues girl who fell out of bus
- More than 200 firefighters battle massive 5-alarm building blaze