logo for print

Child playing with lighter starts fire in NY apartment

When firefighters arrived, a bedroom was on fire; no residents or firefighters were injured


By Samantha House
Syracuse Media Group

SYRACUSE, N.Y. — A fire that left four Syracuse residents without a home was sparked by a child playing with a lighter, firefighters said.

Just after midnight on Saturday, one person living in an apartment on the second floor of 104 Croly St. realized the apartment was on fire, said the Syracuse Fire Department. The resident alerted the other three occupants and made sure the residents escaped, firefighters said.

The fire was reported at 12:06 a.m. When firefighters arrived minutes later, a bedroom was on fire.

No residents or firefighters were injured, firefighters said. A bedroom in the second-floor apartment was damaged by flames, while the rest of the apartment was damaged by smoke.

The fire was started by a child who was playing with a lighter, firefighters said.

The four residents living in the apartment were assisted by the American Red Cross. All others residents were able to return to their apartments, firefighters said.

Copyright 2017 Syracuse Media Group
All Rights Reserved

McClatchy-Tribune News Service

Recommended for you

Join the discussion

Copyright © 2018 FireRescue1.com. All rights reserved.