Patient dies after lighting hospital gown on fire
According to the fire chief, the patient burned half of her torso in the incident
By FireRescue1 Staff
WILLIAMSPORT, Pa. — Williamsburg police reported that the patient, Val Cooper, died from her injuries, according to WNEP.
WILLIAMSPORT, Pa. — A patient is in critical condition after lighting her hospital gown on fire with a lighter.
WNEP reported that firefighters responded to the call after medical professionals were burned trying to save the patient, who was being treated for physical and mental issues.
Two employees who tried to extinguish the fire were burned on their hands and wrists.
"That was their patient under their care and until they got up to the point where they got burned, they were doing that, they were still taking care of that patient. My hat's off to them," Williamsport Fire Chief Todd Chief Heckman said.
The fire was contained to the room and all employees are recovering.