2 FDNY firefighters hurt while battling apartment fire

A 76-year-old man died in his apartment; officials said the fire was accidental and caused by smoking


Associated Press

NEW YORK — Fire officials say the Christmas Day high rise blaze in New York that killed a 76-year-old man in his apartment was accidental and was caused by smoking.

Authorities say John Doktor was found unresponsive in his bedroom by emergency responders Monday morning.

More than 100 firefighters responded to the wind-whipped fire on the 35th floor of a 36-story building on 56th Street near Seventh Avenue.

Fire Department spokesman Michael Parrella says firefighters were hampered by high winds and malfunctioning elevators.

Parrella says the fire was contained to one apartment, where Doktor was found. Officials said it was started by a careless discarding of smoking material.

Two firefighters were also injured.

 

Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Recommended for you

Join the discussion

Copyright © 2018 FireRescue1.com. All rights reserved.