logo for print

Officials: NY blaze that hurt 20 firefighters sparked by child

A child who was playing with a lighter accidentally sparked a blaze that injured 20 firefighters and damaged five homes


By Laura Dimon
New York Daily News

NEW YORK — A child who was playing with a lighter on Staten Island accidentally sparked a blaze that injured 20 firefighters and damaged five homes, authorities said Monday.

The flames began spreading just after 7 p.m. on Saturday inside a three-story house on Steinway Ave. near Klondike Ave. in New Springville, officials said. Within an hour, the fast-moving fire tore through several homes – including the house of a fire marshal.

A child who was playing with a lighter on Staten Island accidentally sparked a blaze that injured 20 firefighters and damaged five homes. (Photo/FDNY)
A child who was playing with a lighter on Staten Island accidentally sparked a blaze that injured 20 firefighters and damaged five homes. (Photo/FDNY)

The injured smoke-eaters went to Richmond University Medical Center and Staten Island University Hospital.

The FDNY posted a video to YouTube with safety tips to prevent kids from sparking flames.

“Matches and lighters are not toys. Talk to children about the dangers of playing with fire,” Lt. Bill Lynch says in the clip. “Store lighters and matches in places that can’t be reached by a child.”

Copyright 2018 New York Daily News

 

McClatchy-Tribune News Service

Recommended for you

Join the discussion

Copyright © 2018 FireRescue1.com. All rights reserved.