Do you think we'll eventually stop needing firefighters?
Check it out and add your own thoughts in the comments
A question posted recently on Quora asked, "As fire safety and protection get better, will we eventually stop needing firefighters?" James Pearson, a 25-year fire service veteran and fire instructor, gave his opinion on the topic below. Check it out and add your own thoughts in the comments.
As safety improves, we are responding to fewer fires than we used to.
But because of synthetic materials, many of these fires are more severe than ever. Remember that firefighters respond to more than just fires. There will always be something that remains beyond our ability to predict or control. When that happens, people need rescuing.
I don't see the need for firefighters going away anytime soon.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
The comments below are member-generated and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of FireRescue1.com or its staff. If you cannot see comments, try disabling privacy and ad blocking plugins in your browser. All comments must comply with our Member Commenting Policy.
FireRescue1 top 5
- Official: FDNY firefighter may have been jolted from bucket
- NJ fire dept.'s apparatus fleet 'in dire need of replacing'
- Video: Volunteer firefighter-EMT rescues girl who fell out of bus
- Off-duty firefighter hospitalized after being shot multiple times
- More than 200 firefighters battle massive 5-alarm building blaze